Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Get me up to speed

Get me up to speed

I am old and getting older but may want to take a step into the tech world. I would like to know the names of all the devices that are on the market that have screens and what they can do, today such as Ipads, notebooks, lap tops and such. What makes them different. I know about Iphones and do not want one of them. Too big for my pocket. Like my flip phone to clip on my belt. But I may want to start using Square readers to take credit cards at shows. Do not need something too large or elaborate but confused with all the gadgets because they all look the same except for sizes. Not to be used often but often enough. Want to have some knowledge when going to talk to the Geeks in the stores. Thanks.
    John T.

John, I use a horizontal belt holster for my iPhone 6S+. Yes, it's big, but it's also easy to read. Professor Dr. SWMBO got hers first (up from an iPhone 5S) and even with the large phone, uses the "big print" accommodations so she can easily read the screen. I personally do not like carrying a smart phone in a pocket. It's too easy to damage it by knocking into something or when (not if) it falls out inadvertently. To-date (knock on really expensive wood...) I've never cracked a screen yet and I've been using a smart phone since the second generation of iPhone. While I'm an "Apple guy", the same applies to the Android devices. I believe you'll likely need some form of smartphone to do the things you want to do at shows, etc. They are essentially computers that are very powerful and therefore, can handle sophisticated (as well as simple) applications.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

John - My advice to you would be to ask a friend or child to show you what they have, and why they like it. I agree that you shouldn’t go into a big box store unprepared.

Ask someone to show you this web site on their device (laptop, iPad, whatever), and see how you like it. Bonus points if someone can lend you a device for a few days, so you can get acclimated to using it.

You’ll get no shortage of opinions here, regarding what to chose. It’s important that you test-drive your next device before handing over your credit card. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Best of luck.

Mike

I can't imagine carrying a smartphone anywhere but in a front pocket in jeans. Some pants have specific pockets for them that also work well like the Carhartt shorts I sometimes wear. It would get ripped off and damaged in any kind of belt holster just like a tape measure does when I carry one that way. I've never dropped any iPhone and have had them forever. Clearly the plus size might not fit a front pocket well.
    We did have some interesting issues when standardizing on iPhones in a heavy construction company. Gloves and smartphones don't mix well along with other problems like sliding off equipment when you can't learn to keep them in your pocket.

Blog Entries
    My first smart phone was a Blackberry provided by the company I worked for. I liked the size, so when I retired I got one of my own. Later I traded it for a Samsung S-4 mini because I did not care for the larger sizes of the I-phone and other Samsung and LG products. I've had my S-4 mini for over 6 years and still love it. I carry it is a small holster type pouch that clips on my belt. It has all the functions of the far larger sized phones, but unfortunately isn't available any more. There are some smaller size screen type phones out there, so look around. My S-4 mini is 4.91 x 2.41 x 0.35 inches

The Galaxy J3 Eclipse is 2.75" x 5.5"
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 01-11-2018 at 3:27 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I have a Moto G Cheap phone small size and does everything a smartphone should do.I carry it in a leather case I made that goes on my belt. Closes with a snap and protects it very well.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Well now this adds another layer of thought when you all are saying there are smaller phones available. I do not need the bells and whistles of smart phones. I do not use the net while working. All the phones that I see are larger ones. My Nephews who are in their 20's carry them. Can not carry a phone in my back pocket. Hate to bend over with a phone in the front pocket (you know what I mean) That is why I like it on the side of my belt. Out of the way and I do not worry about it. But with these ones with the glass fronts I worry about running into something and breaking glass. I have seen what happens when dropped too. Mine I can throw it and it still works fine. I will look into this further. Thanks for the replys and please keep them coming.
    John T.

So to try and answer your original question from a relative non-techie, here goes. Laptops are portable computers similar to what you have at home but smaller and lighter and they are getting smaller and lighter all the time. Many brands and styles
    Tablets like iPads are also small portable computers but don't flip open like a laptop unless you put them in case of some sort. You can add keyboards to them to make it easier to type, but mostly they use the touchscreen. Again many types, sizes and styles.
    Smartphones are the even smaller combination of a tablet computer and cell phone and camera and more. These use mostly touchscreens but you can type or even talk-to-text. You don't need the latest and greatest to do what you want. I use a Tracfone by Samsung (J3 Galaxy Skye) that I got on Amazon for about $100 or so and it works well. For using Square readers you just need a good WiFi connection or good cell signal with adequate data in your account. TracFone is a pay-as-you-go system but they have monthly plans as well. We have been using them for many years and just got the real smartphone and are pleased so far.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Your choice is I-stuff or Android. I-stuff is overpriced.
    Get a Samsung S8 and be happy.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Your choice is I-stuff or Android. I-stuff is overpriced.
    Get a Samsung S8 and be happy.
    The Samsung Galaxy S8 and the iPhone 8 are very close to the same price for the MSRP. The S8 might even cost a little more depending on the size and memory. There are certainly a lot of Android phones that are much cheaper than either of these phones.

I happen to have an iPhone 6 Plus, but only because I got it free from work. I also have a 2017 iPad I just got. I looked at Android tablets, but they cost quite a bit more for brand name tablet than the 2017 iPad with holiday sales. I like how the iPad and the iPhone work together. I'll probably stick with iPhone because I have two iDevices now, but I have nothing against Android. I intend to keep my iPhone 6 Plus until it can't run the latest iOS or it dies. I plan to get a $29 battery replacement this year.

Hi John, I just replaced my Blackberry with the Blackberry Keyone which still has a mechanical keyboard. (I detest typing on a touch screen).

It's larger than my older Blackberry, I really liked the smaller phones, they fit much better in a pocket.

As I only use it for phone calls, text and email, the larger screens are nothing more than a hindrance for me.............Regards, Rod.

This will be a project for the summer. I just got done dealing with getting a new printer. No new printer all in one will be compatible with windows XP64. Had to have tech do a patch work from older model printer to allow drivers to load so I can communicate with computer. I may need to just update all my systems.
    John T.

Quote Originally Posted by John Terefenko View Post
    This will be a project for the summer. I just got done dealing with getting a new printer. No new printer all in one will be compatible with windows XP64. Had to have tech do a patch work from older model printer to allow drivers to load so I can communicate with computer. I may need to just update all my systems.
    Welcome to my world.

Quote Originally Posted by John Terefenko View Post
    Well now this adds another layer of thought when you all are saying there are smaller phones available. I do not need the bells and whistles of smart phones. ....
    ... My Nephews who are in their 20's carry them. ....
    I don't use the CC reader, but like others have said, I suspect you will need a smart phone to run to properly run the app(lication) that supports the reader. The best advice I have heard about making a 'big leap' up with a new tech phone is to get one as similar as possible to what others in your immediate circle use - - spelled nephews. They are your best source of tech support and can easily show you or talk you through various steps operate or configure your phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    I don't use the CC reader, but like others have said, I suspect you will need a smart phone to run to properly run the app(lication) that supports the reader. The best advice I have heard about making a 'big leap' up with a new tech phone is to get one as similar as possible to what others in your immediate circle use - - spelled nephews. They are your best source of tech support and can easily show you or talk you through various steps operate or configure your phone.
    They got all the bells and whistles on their phones and they are too big for me to carry around. I do thank everyone for their input and I will have to do some fact finding for sure. Out of my comfort zone but will pursue.
    John T.