Thread: Confusion - Choosing WHICH Sherwin Williams NON cat Nitro ?

Confusion - Choosing WHICH Sherwin Williams NON cat Nitro ?

Have used the above years ago, liked it, but they are always changing stuff, so now I need to choose from current availability.

Have been away from this stuff for 15 years, getting back in, want to use the stuff I was familiar with.

Looking for just plain lacquer for basic furniture use, non cat, and ability to go straight to wood w no sealer... to use one gun.

No, I'm NOT in CA, I am in a geo area where I can use anything.

I have thoroughly studied the linked pages, too many pros and cons, can't decide.
    http://oem.sherwin-williams.com/prod...wood-finishes/

I will be buying in 5 gal can, do not need KCMA durability, no water exposure, never used the Vinyl sealer before and was just fine.

Leaning towards this one, but it does not give schedule option of no sealer - But isn't plain nitro fine to go straight to bare wood ? https://www.paintdocs.com/docs/webPD...&prodno=T70CT1

Seems to be inconsistent info between the diff product PDS sheets... such as only one offers the option of using the product straight to bare wood (no sealer or anything) but the others do not show that option.. My point is, I have a feeling that's NOT the ONLY one that can be used that way, but just the one they by chance chose.

I'm not trying to be a smarty pants, but saying I think the PDS sheets have some inaccurate inconsistencies.

So can anyone point me to a specific material ?

I have searched the Archives, read all about Target, Campbell, CAB, conversion, Pre, Post, etc.. would like to stay w SW just plain solvent based old school Lacquer.

Thank you, Marc

I've used the CAB Acrylic quite a bit and it sounds like it would meet your needs. I've typically used it with a sanding sealer underneath, but I don't think it's necessary on bare wood.
    --Mike Roberts

Michael - Specifically, this one?

https://www.paintdocs.com/docs/webPD...&prodno=T75F16

What sealer, thinner and retarder do you use ?

It does say - "Self-sealing systems are not recommended." So, that turned me away from it when I initially saw it while looking at all the SW lacquers.

Thank you, Marc
    Last edited by Marc Jeske; 01-10-2018 at 9:33 PM.

I don’t recall which of the vinyl sealers I used. I certainly never specified when I bought it. I use garden variety lacquer thinner and retarder. Whatever is available at the local store.

Mike
    --Mike Roberts

Sorry, I forgot to specify the model. The last gallon I sprayed was labeled t75f18.
    --Mike Roberts

Yes, that product is the one I linked to.

Thank you Mike, will look into it more.

Any other SW plain lacquer users out here ?

Marc

Marc, I can't comment on specific products (I'm a bit far away) but nitro is generally better with a sanding sealer first. One gun isn't problem swapping from sealer to nitro so long as you use compatible products. Cross contamination is a non issue and the sealer let's you get past the furry stage with easier sanding.

If you are planning to rub the finish, then it is better to go nitro all the way and put up with more irritating sanding. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.