Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3ph 3 hp PM66- new motor or vfd?

3ph 3 hp PM66- new motor or vfd?

I picked up a 74’ PM 66 with a 3phase & 3 hp motor model 35A13-863. A new, 3hp single phase baldor motor is $385 plus another $20 or so for the switch (internet prices).
    The other consideration is a vfd and I believe Teco runs about $300, plus a switch if needed.
    My initial thoughts are that it’s going to be easier swapping out the 3 phase motor for the the single phase plus a new switch.
    Thoughts?

Should not need a new switch either way. May need higher amp heaters (2) if you go single phase and it has a motor starter. If you are lucky they are adjustable heaters.
    VFD. no name china one can be had for $120. On the vfd use the existing switch for low voltage control.
    Bill D

A 3hp tech fm50 costs $200, and a switch can be as simple as a $1 light switch. I have push button e-stop’s in mine which are less than $10 on Amazon.

As bill said, plenty of non name China vfd’s Available for cheaper. Teco has great customer support which might be worth it if you’re not electrically inclined.

Why do you think you need a new switch? Does it have a switch that you do not like?
    Bill

I'm a three phase guy but if you go with a single phase motor you will likely need a new starter. I would not put a cheap switch on a tablesaw. It should have a mag starter. The orginal may be a size 0 and a single phase 3 hp motor needs at least a size 1. If the existing is large enough and has adjustable overloads, you won't need to swap anything. A start stop for a vfd costs almost nothing and can be placed anywhere on the machine. Dave

I'd go with the VFD but that's just me. A single phase motor is the simpler solution.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

You can get a no-name VFD for much cheaper than a new motor. VFD also gives you variable speed - not super useful on a table saw, but maybe if you want to run moulder heads or a sanding disk? VFD also gives you braking - you could have the blade stop much faster than if it's just air friction slowing it down (although you have to be careful to not set the braking too fast or you'll loosen the arbor nut). I'd vote VFD, but I like VFDs

TECO Fm 50 for my 3 phase 3 Horse Delta Unsiaw was something like $196. Three phase motor will cut anything. Very happy.

<p>
    It was my understanding that the vfd switches are small and difficult to position where needed...and rhe exiting switch needs to be removed from the vfd to motor connection.</p>
    Last edited by Patrick Curry; 01-10-2018 at 10:30 PM. Reason: this site does not play well with iPads

Thanks for the information.
    The existing switch is fine, but Im under the impression the 220v out of the vfd needs a different switch the the original 3 phase

Yep. Comfort in familiarity.
    I know I can swap motors. But I can&rsquo;t seem to even find the right vfd on eBay, let alone the installation

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Curry View Post
    Thanks for the information.
    The existing switch is fine, but Im under the impression the 220v out of the vfd needs a different switch the the original 3 phase
    With a VFD there is no switch on the 220v lines. Instead, a switch is wired to two low-voltage control terminals on the VFD, which tells it to turn the motor on or off. You can use almost any on-off switch for this. Some VFDs, such as the Teco FM-50, can also be set up to work with momentary push buttons, such as those used with a magnetic starter.

While it takes a bit of work to figure how to connect and program a VFD, it's probably the least expensive solution. You could also use a static phase converter, but they only power 2 of the 3 legs on the three phase motor, so you don't get the motor's rated HP, and I'm not sure they are great for the motor. If you get a 3hp single-phase motor you'll have to replace the heaters in the starter. It's also possible that the starter is not sized to work with the current from a 3hp single-phase motor, in which case you'll have to get a new starter. One way to avoid changing anything with the starter is to use a smaller 220v single-phase motor that has the same amps rating as the 3hp 3-phase motor. I don't know of the top of my head what that would be, but it might be around a 2hp motor. Actually, that would probably be the simplest solution, and could be cheaper than a VFD if you find a good deal on a motor.

<p>
    If I purchased a 3hp single phase replacement motor I would need a new starter? That&rsquo;s news to me- also shatters the small yet misguided confidence that lead me to this. I thought the starter and all the other goodies of a motor were inside the casing? I don&rsquo;t want to lose any power so static phase converters are out. $385 for a new Baldor single phase 3hp was palatable, and I initially thought it would be easier than wiring a VFD. But adding a starter might push this out of play. I don&rsquo;t know...guess I&rsquo;m back to a vfd. Also, I meant to say that I thought a new switch was necessary if I replaced the mtir with a single phase. It was my understanding that the 3 phase starter switch would not work, and the switch On a vfd if I went that route, would be too small and likely out if reach</p>
    Last edited by Patrick Curry; 01-10-2018 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Why does this site foul up my text.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hachet View Post
    TECO Fm 50 for my 3 phase 3 Horse Delta Unsiaw was something like $196. Three phase motor will cut anything. Very happy.
    I must be looking at the wrong models. The Teco I spec&rsquo;d out was $320.

Amp heaters? Can you elaborate? I was under the impression a new 3hp motor would be somewhat self sufficient after mounting and adding a switch