Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Shop Lighting Question

I got some LED lights from the local Sam's club; 2 bulbs each and can be linked together. Puts out a lot of light for a reasonable cost.

Folks, the OP has large shop coming and a high ceiling. The typical LED shop lights that many of us use are just not going to cut it for his space.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've have a 30' x 40' x 10'h pole building / workshop and it seems like we have a similar overall design. The shop was built a couple years ago and I spent countless hours pondering every detail, particularly the lighting.

I can sympathize with the thought process and wanting to do things right, as well as how mind boggling everything can become the deeper and further into specifics you reach, and wanted to share my choice.

It appears you may already have the lighting receptacles in place so it is likely you have an idea of where you would like to place your units to best suit your needs.

After looking at a wide array of options I eventually chose the Commercial Electric (Home Depot brand) 4' Bright / Cool White LED Direct Wire Ceiling Lights - Model #54283141. In my experience, I would not hesitate recommending these lights and have found them to be quite bright, work great in both hot and cold (well below freezing) temperatures, appear to be of good quality at a fair price, are easy to install and have a pleasant appearance, and the low-profile removes many concerns regarding accidentally bumping into one of the lights. I was admittedly somewhat apprehensive in my purchase (not just in these lights, but in any of the lights I had to choose from) but once installed, I haven't looked back and have found myself more than satisfied with the end result.

To give an idea of the illumination, I have attached several pictures.

I installed a row of five lights to illuminate the workbench, tool and storage shelving and also use this area to work on smaller items such as a mower, chain saw or such.

A second row of five lights was installed between the two overhead doors and (in conjunction with the first row of lights) this provides ample lighting to work on vehicles and larger items. You might note that this row aligns between the overhead door tracks and then offsets several inches to bypass the attic access ladder. Our Tundra typically resides in this spot but due to the weather we've had and what is predicted to come, it has swapped places with the van to allow easy 4wd access and is sitting in our attached garage with the Kawasaki Mule that we frequently use on the trails and around our Tree Farm.

I only placed three lights in the third row and originally intended to use this area for storage (mowers, cycles, kayaks, etc.). Since then, I have decided to dedicate the space to my woodworking projects and my plans are to place a bandsaw, woodworking bench, wood storage and other items here. At that point I am planning on installing two additional lights and I previously allowed the spacing so this row of lights will align with the first two five-light rows. I will note that I have worked in the area with the present lighting and it is well illuminated, so if I left it as-is the lighting would be good. As I continue to tack on the years in retirement though, the benefits of having extra lighting becomes all the more evident and I'd rather have too much than too little available.

In the far end of the shop, I installed two lights to illuminate my outdoor equipment / tractor area, and a third light to provide lighting for my large-item storage shelving as well as the bench vice / work table area.

Should you decide to install twelve lights in your ceiling, I would envision the lighting providing more than adequate illumination and feel you would be quite satisfied. My lights are divided among five separate switches so I can adapt to whatever area I am using, and with eleven of the lights turned on, the shop is quite bright. Your additional two feet of overhead space may make some difference but I wouldn't anticipate a huge amount and while working at floor level in my shop all seems quite good. Your choice of white for the ceiling and walls is wise and will provide much benefit.

Good luck with your choice and enjoy your new shop!

Shop 1.jpg

Shop 2.jpg

Shop 3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Folks, the OP has large shop coming and a high ceiling. The typical LED shop lights that many of us use are just not going to cut it for his space.
    Yes, the IBZ lights I linked above will give you lots of light for 12 lights with 12' ceilings. The Costco or Sam's Club shop lights suggested would require 114 for the same light.

We might want to define "lots of light" and decide if you want lights mounted much lower like at 8'. I certainly wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I understand that operating rooms are green because that is the opposite color from blood and raw meat. This allows you to rest your eyes by looking up at the green.
    I've worked in ORs my entire career (it's what I do), and I've never heard that. ORs change color depending on the era they are built in. They, IMHO, are fads, just like the colors of kitchen cabinets, walls, carpet, etc... I can easily date an OR by looking at the color of the walls.

We tend to avoid calling it raw meat, BTW. Turns off the patients.

Personally, I like the idea of warm wall colors. I may do that myself in my new shop.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

As a follow-up... I had a little extra time today so I disconnected a couple of the center lights and left one of my switches off to take pictures of the shop illuminated with 12 lights (more comparable to what you may be looking at).

Overall the lighting is quite sufficient and would be adequate for many needs. For detail work and the little things though, having additional light can be a plus - though this can also be accomplished with additional lighting in a task area or with a portable lighting unit.

I hope this helps and a comparison of lumens & other factors in different lighting options should help provide some guidance on your path.

Good luck!

Shop a.jpgShop b.jpgShop c.jpgShop d.jpg

I believe LED lights are instant on to something like -40 or lower.
    Bill D

My shop is 20 x 25 x 8. I retrofitted six 4-bulb fluorescent fixtures with LED bulbs, 5K temperature. I think they were 15w each. Took out the ballasts. I paid $8 each for the LED bulbs. The shop is really bright now. However, there are also 6 regular bulb sockets on the ceiling with heavy duty fixtures suitable for 100 w bulbs. I use those too with regular incandescent 100 w bulbs. The combination of the two kinds of light give better texture and color to everything. I still use a work light at a bandsaw I have in the corner. The LED's are really bright, but I prefer the combination because of the better contrast it gives. You just can't have too many lights, in my opinion. Multiple lights, multiple types, multiple switches.

Im new to woodworking so i am finally excited to add something instead of always asking questions... Lighting is def one of my strong points....in my shed i have several of these high bay lights https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia...t5+high+bay+ho Notice they are the T5 HO my ceiling is 16 feet high. They provide AWESOME light and have two circuits so you can turn 2 of the bulbs off. The bad part is the electric bill has gone up about $20 per month since they have been installed. I have them installed approx 8 feet apart. They put out about 20,000 lumens (equiv to 1000 watt bulb) per fixture at 216 watts each. They are an awesome light, but a lil pricy after you buy the fixture and the 4 bulbs at about 10 bucks apiece. They can not be "surface" mounted as they get warm and heat will cause premature failure. I have no regrets and would install them again in a heartbeat...HOWEVER there is another simpler, less expensive light method out there... The corn cob lights can put out around 10000 lumens a piece and you simply screw them in. They even make some that have hangers. I have 4 of these in my shed as well and light my "assembly" area with 4 of them. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Euri-Lig...duct_304247336. Whatever lights you install you should be aware of the "kelvin" temp on the bulbs. Most seem to be in the 4000 Kelvin range which ok for me doing woodworking, I always try to find bulbs that are close to daylight. (5000-6500 kelvin) Hope this helps a lil bit.

PS Spray the OSB sheets before you hang em! If your using KILZ Latex primer spray it on with a drywall texture gun...