Thread: spindle sander sleeves

spindle sander sleeves

Folks,
    I just acquired a jet floor model spindle sander. Does anyone know a good source for 9" sanding sleeves? Klingspor seems to have some, but the smaller diameter are not on their site.

Also, what grits do most people use? I dont think i want to change very often, but of course different work may require different grits.
    thanks,
    Stevo

I can't help with sourcing for the sleeves, but for my Delta spindle sander (which I don't use very often) I only have a single grit represented. I think it's 100 grit if my memory serves. I only use sanding machines like this for shaping/smoothing. Any finish sanding is done using other methods.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Klingspor is my source for all things gritty. You might try Grizzly or Woodworker's Supply if Klingspor doesn't have what you're looking for.

I use a spindle sander a lot (gun racks out of Baltic Birch plywood) and almost exclusively 100 grit sleeves. I keep a few 150 on hand for fun projects that I want a higher level of finish on.

Stevo, I recently bought a fresh set of sleeves from Klingspor for my Jet floor spindle sander. They carry all the sizes needed. Just be aware that the 1/4 and 1/2 inch sizes are only 6 inches high, the larger ones are all available in the 9 inch high size. And the smaller sizes come only in a 2 pack; I forget what size started single sleeves. Here is a link for you to look at: http://www.woodworkingshop.com/categ...SPINDLE+SANDER

Supergrit has an extensive selection - http://www.supergrit.com/OSSSandingDrumsandSleeves

Tom Wassack
    Asheboro, NC

I buy most of my sanding supplies from industrial abrasives.

stevo, I rarely use the full height of the spindles. I find it more economical to get 6" sleeves (I even cut those in half when I'm sanding 3/4" material as I find the shorter ones are easier to get on) and have 9" sleeves on hand for the rare occasions when they are needed. I use 120 grit almost exclusively but, my spindle sander operations are pretty specialized, not general.

If they don't shred at the seams before they wear out (usually only a problem with smallest diameters) I always flip them over to use both ends.

I bought one of those hand held spindle sanders that Grizzly and a couple of others just put on the market. The 3" long sleeves aren't available at Klingspor and I hate to pay Grizzly's shipping unless I have a large enough order to make it worthwhile. I'm curious how you cut down the sleeves. I've done a couple by putting them over a dowel and using a hacksaw, but figure there's probably a better way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Derryberry View Post
    I'm curious how you cut down the sleeves.
    Ted, I'm trying to remember how I did it when I cut a bunch of them awhile back. Usually I cut sanding belts with one of those nurse's shears that will cut through anything and never seems to dull (plus they're inexpensive) but for a drum you need a starting place. I believe I either used an old steel circular saw blade or a fibre metal cut off disk on the RAS.

Thanks. Now I seem to remember that I tried a cut off disc in a dremel and didn't have much luck before switching to the hacksaw.

I just ordered a bunch from Woodworkers Supply. Price was pretty good and the quality seems fine. I'm using 60 grit to pattern sanding a bunch of chair parts so I need aggressive stock removal.