Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grizzly G0771Z - user opinions / thoughts?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eugene thomas View Post
    The on site service comment . So what company in the grizzly price range provides that?
    None. That is part of what you are not paying for at this price point. People want Wal-Mart prices and Nordstrom services; not going to happen.

Chris, are you drilling into the saw or into the wings? If the saw, I wouldn't do it.

3. Wings, not the saw. The wings have a slightly larger hole than the bolts to give a small amount of adjustability. The saw holes are threaded for the bolt to go into.

Ah, I see now. Like you, I'm not experienced with metal work, but if Grizzly said go for it, all you've got to lose is some work and probably a few drill bits.

Okay, let me get this straight, you have one hole in an extension wing that is off by 1/16”? Just drill it out with a bit that is 1/8” larger than the existing hole. Assuming you have enough material surrounding it to allow it. Cast iron is super easy to drill, so a handheld drill is fine. I’d use multiple bits, moving up incrementally until reaching the size that works.

You have to expect to do that once in a while when you buy on price point. Buy Powermatic or Felder or something if you don’t want to deal with. I’m sure grizzly would take it back and give you a new one, but it’s a lot faster to make a simple fix yourself.

Chris if you only need a sixteenth of an inch just drill the hole out with a larger size and leave it round. cast iron drills easily if you have a good drill bit (new) . Mike.

I too received my saw. I did not experience any of the pain Chris did. Sorry to hear about the problems Chris. The packaging was pristine - not even dirty. The saw went together easily. The only problem I had was the threads for the motor cover, back panel and dust connection were painted and needed to be cleaned out. Not a big deal. The left wing needed a single piece of tape below the holes to bring it up to flat with the table. Other than that the table was dead flat using 2 different straight edges. The saw runs smooth and quiet.

I was worried about the fence being aluminum, but it is heavy and when locked down it does not move. I had to square the fence to 90 to the table. Again, no big deal. I'll work with it for a while before I sell the shop fox fence from my old Grizzly (which lasted 30 years).

I was sorry to read your post Chris - I know how excited I was to be getting a new saw, and how disappointed I would be to have to f around fixing it before I even used it. If you have any questions or just want to vent, pm me and I'll give you my number. Good luck - hope you eventually enjoy the saw as much as I am.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry McFadden View Post
    Wow...hard to believe a company wants you to start "elongating" holes in a brand new machine and Micky Mousing it to try to get it in the shape it should have been in when you received it...I've read of far too many situations like this from this company.
    Since Grizzly sells a lot more saws than most companies, it actually makes sense that you'd read about more issues. That doesn't necessarily correlate to a higher defect rate though. In cases where a dealer is involved, the dealer will usually intercept issues like this before it gets passed on to the customer. Without a middle man and the associated markup, you have to be willing to take on the role that the dealer plays. No doubt those holes should have been right, but they weren't, so the path of least resistance is to drill them out.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Cox View Post
    Just to give an update, I received a call from tech support. I was on my way to the store and was going to drop the packages off to be shipped while I was out, so they got a hold of me just in time. He said it was ok for me to try drilling and it wouldn't void my warranty. I can still send them in if I can't get it to work out. He suggested to try using a hand drill and put the bit into the hole and use the side of it to grind away and try to create an elongated hole. I went home and tried doing that, and it seems to be working, but is also going to take a while. Any other ideas or is that the best way? I do have a drill press. Would it be better to use that? I had to stop for now because I ran out of time, but can try to work on it over the weekend.
    As an alternative to drilling an oversized hole, you could consider a rat tail file or dremel-type tool if you have one of those. Oversized hole is probably the quickest and easiest though.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    I too received my saw. I did not experience any of the pain Chris did. Sorry to hear about the problems Chris. The packaging was pristine - not even dirty. The saw went together easily. The only problem I had was the threads for the motor cover, back panel and dust connection were painted and needed to be cleaned out. Not a big deal. The left wing needed a single piece of tape below the holes to bring it up to flat with the table. Other than that the table was dead flat using 2 different straight edges. The saw runs smooth and quiet.

I was worried about the fence being aluminum, but it is heavy and when locked down it does not move. I had to square the fence to 90 to the table. Again, no big deal. I'll work with it for a while before I sell the shop fox fence from my old Grizzly (which lasted 30 years).

I was sorry to read your post Chris - I know how excited I was to be getting a new saw, and how disappointed I would be to have to f around fixing it before I even used it. If you have any questions or just want to vent, pm me and I'll give you my number. Good luck - hope you eventually enjoy the saw as much as I am.
    Thanks Bill, I appreciate it. I'm glad you're liking it. The good news is that I managed to finish enlarging the holes and now have the wings attached. I had to use some aluminum tape to shim both of them, but now everything is flat. It was a little bit of a pain, but overall not as bad as I thought. It was better than sending them back and having to wait. Also, I didn't have to worry about the new ones getting damaged in shipping on the way back. I used a drill bit and stuck it in the hole and used the side of it to grind away at it, which was Grizzly's suggestion. I didn't have a big enough bit to drill a larger hole, and also drilling off the edge was making the bit slip into the hole. I also didn't have the right file, so that was the best method. I also managed to get everything else set up and it runs smoothly. I still have to finish adjusting some things and dialing everything in, but am glad I was able to get everything together and it seems like it will work out ok.

Just to give an update, I ended up discovering a major issue after I got everything up and running. My saw has a blade alignment problem. If you align the blade to the miter gauge slot, the alignment shifts slightly as you raise or lower the blade. This is the same issue that many people with the Ridgid 4512 have had. Over the whole length of travel, it is about 1/32" off. It took me about a week before I finally figured out what was going on.

There is another person over on the Lumber Jocks forum who has the same problem and also has a brand new saw as well. He demonstrates the issue here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvpvVYdhgJo
    Tech support sent him a new blade bracket (part #38) and he told me that made a big improvement and appears to be causing most of the issue. This part pivots off the motor and moves the arbor with it and may be causing everything to twist slightly, due to a manufacturing issue with it. They are sending me a new one, but the part is backordered and it looks like it could be a few weeks before I can get it. I'm going to try to make the repair and see if that helps. If not, I will have to send the saw back and see if Grizzly can fix it. If they can't, they'll have to give me a replacement saw or possibly a refund, as it's now backordered again. Making this repair myself is a lot less of a hassle than sending it back in.

I was surprised to have this issue, as there is no mention of it on any reviews, so it's not a common problem. If I can get this fixed, I'll be happy with it, as I like everything else about it, but right now it's way too inaccurate for me to use like this. It has been frustrating so far, but tech support has been very helpful and it sounds like they will be taking care of it, but right now I'm going to have to hold off on using it until I can get it fixed.

Must be aggravating Chris - hope you get it fixed. I got mine from the same batch Cris did, and while I have not had the alignment problems he is experiencing, there are some bad details. The fence is kind of irritating: I have it adjusted just right in terms of the blade alignment, but the tape measure is off. And not just off where I can adjust it by moving the magnifier/reader. When set at 6" it's right on the money. When set at 18" it actually cuts 18 1/16" plus. Set at 28" it cuts 28" on the nose. And the end caps on the fence stick up above the fence body. And if I put the fence over the blade and rest a 4' level on it, it reads 2 1/8" on left end of the table, and 2 5/8" at the right end of the table. I'm thinking it might be time to drill out the Shop Fox rails and install it. And the knob used to tighten the angle wheel in place turns the wheel, so you have to hold it in place while you tighten the knob down to secure the setting. Dust collection could be better. Still waiting for the back ordered zero clearance insert. But these are quibbles I suppose. I've ripped 3" oak with it and it handles that ok. All in all, for the work I do with it, it's a fine tool. Pretty quiet, and very little if any vibration.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.