Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly G0771Z - user opinions / thoughts?

Grizzly G0771Z - user opinions / thoughts?

My Grizzly G1022 finally died. 20 plus years is not too bad. Anyone using the G0771Z? I'm not too worried about the fence because I have a shop fox classic that I can replace the alum rails with. Curious how you like working with it.
    Thx

Wow - I had no idea the G0771Z was so popular. (ya - I'm talking to myself. My wife says I'm the only one that will listen to me.)

It might help if I knew what it was. With a fence I assume a saw or shaper of some kind. Maybe it is the American dream made in China with a picket fence.
    I am sure that adding a Z to the model # makes buyers think they are getting Zomething better then the old model.
    Bill D

LOL - it would have helped if I said it was a table saw. Live and learn. I figured if someone had one they would know. An american dream like one of the old Sears house kits - made in China.

My BIL grew up in a Sears kit house assembled in Detroit from a kit made somewhere else. I think it was made around 1900? Henry Ford got involved with making cast iron molds to make cast in place concrete houses at some time.
    Bill D.

6. I have one on order. They've been out of stock but are supposed to be coming in a few weeks. I'll let you know how it is once I'm able to test it out.

I ordered one myself yesterday. 1-25-18 seems to be the date. I was on the fence about the fence but I can always replace it. I would have to jump thru some hoops to get another 220 circuit in the shop, so I decided to just go with the G0771Z. Based on the fact that my G1022 lasted almost 30 years I'm pretty confident ordering from Grizzly. Let's compare notes after we get them set up.

Not having 220 in my basement shop was one of the main reasons I went with it. It seemed to be the best value for a 110v saw. I also did not want to deal with getting a heavier saw down into my basement. The fence is supposed to be an upgrade on the original G0771 as I guess there were some issues with the original design. Looking forward to testing it out.

I received my saw, but unfortunately I'm not able to finish setting it up, due to a major problem with the extension wings. 1 out of the 3 holes on the sides of the wings was drilled slightly too high, making it impossible for me to get the wing flush to the table. Same problem on both wings, and both sides have an issue, so I can't just swap them. The bolt on the incorrect hole can't be threaded unless the wing is sitting below the table. It's not something that can be fixed with shimming. They're making me ship the wings back to them to inspect before they will send out new ones due to the cost of them. Not super happy about this, especially since I have to figure out how to pack them up myself. They told me to reuse parts of the crate for the saw to pack it up. I tried to talk them into sending new ones first so I could reuse the packaging, but they wouldn't do it. This was coming from a supervisor.

That sounds like the kind of problem that could've been solved by you sending them photos to document. They send new wings, you send back the old ones.

The main reason I probably wouldn't buy a Grizzly tool is my understanding that Grizzly will not ever provide onsite service under warranty. I have no way of verifying this because I don't own any Grizzly tools although thought seriously about a Grizzly table saw at one point because of price and generally high ratings. I bought an 8" Jet Helical Head jointer awhile back and have been completely satisfied wth their warranty service. They sent out a 3rd party service company twice for warranty covered repairs. The repairs themselves were not serious. However, they would have taken me a lot of time and effort complete. We all want to buy tools that don't require service under warranty or otherwise. The fact is that tools sometimes do require service. Grizzly requires the tool to be shipped back at owner's expense if you can't install the parts yourself. That's expensive and difficult to accomplish for a home woodworker. Just some input on Grizzly in general. I do hope, though, that the problems noted here are simple to solve and resolved quickly.

Chris, why dont you just fix the wings yourself ? Seems like you could just drill the holes slightly larger and then use a washer on the bolt . How far off is the alignment ? I would probably do this myself rather than go thru all the pain of returns and waiting etc. However it is your saw and your decision,good luck,Mike.

13. One hole on each side of the wings is off by 1/16th of an inch vs the others. It forces the wing to be too low to the table by that much on that side. It's off by just enough that you can't get the bolt into the thread when flush. Since this problem is the same on each side of both wings, it makes me think there are probably others on the production line that were like this as well. The hole would probably have to be elongated slightly to be more like an oval. I considered trying to drill it, but I was worried about the bit slipping back into the hole, since I would have to drill on the edge. The problem with doing this is that by modifying it, I would be voiding the warranty. I haven't been able to finish setting it up and don't know if there are other issues yet. I also don't have any experience drilling metal, so I decided not to try to fix it. If it were used, then I probably would try. I've already received the return authorization and have them boxed up, so I guess I'm just going to send them back to exchange at this point.

They wanted me to reuse some of the shipping crate from the saw for packaging, but I didn't want to in case there's any other issue with the saw, so I had to make my own boxes. I also told them that I was worried about them getting damaged on the way back since I have limited packing materials on hand and they said they've already been flagged as defective so it wasn't a big deal. If that's the case, then why do they need them back first? Also, I'm not sure why they can't just send new ones and have me send the old ones back using their packaging. Most companies would just bill you after if they never get the return back. I also had to make two separate boxes because they gave me separate return labels for each one.

The on site service comment . So what company in the grizzly price range provides that?

Just to give an update, I received a call from tech support. I was on my way to the store and was going to drop the packages off to be shipped while I was out, so they got a hold of me just in time. He said it was ok for me to try drilling and it wouldn't void my warranty. I can still send them in if I can't get it to work out. He suggested to try using a hand drill and put the bit into the hole and use the side of it to grind away and try to create an elongated hole. I went home and tried doing that, and it seems to be working, but is also going to take a while. Any other ideas or is that the best way? I do have a drill press. Would it be better to use that? I had to stop for now because I ran out of time, but can try to work on it over the weekend.