Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer Choices

Computer Choices

I just read thru a computer thread and didn't find what I was looking for. I thought a new thread might be best since my question is different than recovering/maintaining OS. My computer is an HP laptop that I bought with Windows 7. I installed the free upgrade to Windows 10. Working fine, methinks. However, some of the "mechanicals" inside the box are making noise, so I've started looking for a replacement computer.

I'm used to MS Office from the working days, and the dinosaur in me says I want/need to keep that platform. My daughter is a geek and a big proponent for Apple computers/software. I attended a beginners class for Apple today, and it seems I can accomplish the "MS Office" thing with Apple and eliminate much of the "bloatware" issues that come with Windows. That comes at significant expense.

Opinions/thoughts relative to Apple vs. MS, please.

Thanks,
    Andy

P.S. I'll likely be checking for responses tomorrow. I'm looking forward to the game tonight. No dog in the hunt, but I'll bet it will be a slobberknocker!

I bought an Apple Mac back in 1984, and then transitioned to Windows machines when they came out, then got a NeXT Cube --- Mac OS X which inherits much of NeXT's technical underpinnings is quite nice, and I miss quite a bit from it since I'm back to using Windows --- the highwater mark of my computing career was using a NeXT Cube as a desktop and an NCR-3125 running PenPoint as a portable.

These days I use a Samsung Galaxy Book 12 since I despair of there ever being a real replacement for my Fujitsu Stylistic ST4121 and its daylight viewable display.

For Mac OS X, so long as you can find applications which meet your needs, which work as you wish, it's quite nice. Some things to look forward to:

- Miller column filebrowser
    - nice file manipulation options including persistent selections when changing sort views on a folder and drag-drop into file dialog boxes
    - consistent interface and niceties such as dragging a disk icon changing the trash can icon into a disk eject symbol
    - EMACS keyboard shortcuts in Cocoa apps which us the nstext object
    - rich typography in tools which use ATSUI/AAT or whatever Apple is calling its typography objects these days
    - nice collection of typefaces including Zapfino --- wrote a paper on that: http://tug.org/TUGboat/tb24-2/tb77adams.pdf

Blog Entries
    Well Andy, my preference is very biased from being the owner and user of an Apple Macintosh. When employed my computer at work was a Windows machine. My experience was it was a lot more work to get the Windows machine to do what was wanted. With some of the tasks such as photo editing or drawing it was easier to do them at home and then take them to work on a flash drive.

Here is one of my favorite images in a procedural document my supervisor assigned me to write:

Encoder Image.png

Most of my coworkers enjoyed the humor.

When it comes to surfing the internet or writing documents there really isn't a lot of difference. The most difficult part will be with changing platforms is some of the command keying will likely be different than what you are used to. A little effort and it will be tackled in no time.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I made the switch in 2010 and haven't looked back. I still need to use Windows for some things, but I do that on my Mac(s) using virtualization so it's pretty seamless. And I have an MS Office 365 subscription, since that's what I was using for work (one of my Macs was for BYOD work) so that remained consistent. My Mid-2010 iMac is running the latest version of the MacOS and with a solid state drive and generous memory, you'd think it was brand new. Not bad for a 7 year old computer...none of my previous Windows machines lasted anything near this long for both reliability and usability. The cost of entry for an Apple machine is often a little more, but long term, mine has cost me less. I expect the same will be true for my 2012 Macbook Pro which I'm going to be using for CAM since it's portable when I need it to be.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Disclaimer:Bias.

I’ve been a long time Mac and iDevice user for years. For most of the last 20 years at work I would use a Wintel laptop. I can use both, but give me the Mac any time. There are some work system I need to interface that aren’t Mac.friendly, I interface through Amazon WorkSpace. I run an older version of MS Office on my home Mac. My work Mac (the company now allows Apple devices now, especialy with the proliferation of iPads and iPhones as work devices) runs Office 365 and linked to my iPad.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

I have been firmly committed to Microsoft since the advent of the Win2K system and Microsoft support and update system, I have not had to take any computers into a shop for service. I would urge purchase of a machine with just the Win10 system installed and pay a little to not have bloatware or promotional software installed. Start your system clean and maintain good hygienic internet habits. Avoid tempting services, widgets, apps and such and keep the computer for needed tasks. I have not had longevity problems with the gear. Use a secondary computer for the risky stuff, for tryouts, before installing on the main computer.

I have both PC and Mac and use the PC most of the time. I have built a couple of PCs and had the last one built. In all three cases, I installed the bare minimum. No bloatware. Actually, if anything, the MacBook Pro came with more applications that I don't have any need for than my PCs did.

If you don't go with Mac and you're OK with a desktop machine, look for a local shop to built a PC for you or build it yourself. They aren't difficult to build yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Nair View Post
    I would urge purchase of a machine with just the Win10 system installed and pay a little to not have bloatware or promotional software installed.
    Are you referring to the option to install an unbloated Win10, or just the ancillary apps they try to include like Antivirus and "productivity packs" and the like? If there was a way to get Win10 without all the extra stuff they force on users (xbox, etc) that can't be removed, I'd consider it at some point.
    If not for the pile of Win only software I use, Mac would be on my list of alternates, with LINUX (Ubuntu, maybe) behind that.

Looking to start a fight, eh?

I debated the Mac vs PC 2 years ago. I came close couldn't get over the several hundred dollar price differential between machines of the same spec plus having to learn a new OS. I ended up with an HP Spectre X360 and have been very happy with it. In fact, a year later, my wife needed a PC upgrade and decided that I should get a new one, pass mine to my daughter, and pass my daughter's to her. I bought the latest and greatest HP Spectre X360. Best Buy carries them at a good price in several variants and they come with virtually no bloatware other than some HP stuff purportedly to check for BIOS and driver updates automatically for you. That's easily uninstalled. And you can buy a discounted Office 365 subscription at the same time. I find the subscription to be a decent value for my family of 3 PCs, 3 tablets, and 3 phones compared to the days of buying upgrades every couple years. Whenever we buy a new PC we grab the discounted subscription, and in the years we don't, I watch for a deal and usually get it almost as cheap.

A few years ago we bought a pair of Toshiba laptops with Windows 8.0 for my daughters. My younger daughter liked that laptop so much she worked two jobs last summer so she could buy a lower end Mac Air laptop. I've never used it but I think it's wonderful. Not once has she brought it to me because something was fouled up, she's been able to figure out any problem she's run into.

Well, she can't hasn't been able to write to the external hard drive she has as it's formatted NTFS. That's a solvable problem. For me anyway. For her, not so much.

To help funnel money for the Air I bought the Toshiba off of her, now running Win 8.1. I can see why she didn't like it, intermittent freezes, slow. Knocking out some of the useless services has it working better but I prefer the linux desktop for normal use. Linux won't run the tax software so the laptop takes care of that, another factor in my buying it.

In short, years ago I would have said that the Apple cost couldn't be justified. I no longer say that.

-Tom

Thanks for the feedback so far folks. A lot of what you've said is Greek to me, but will make fantastic sense to my daughter/geek. She will appreciate the feedback from the woodworking community as a reflection of what I may want...which may differ from her final recommendation. I'm sure I can learn any new system from a user standpoint if necessary. I'll continue to monitor this thread and share information with others close to me.

Thanks,
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Petersen View Post
    Are you referring to the option to install an unbloated Win10, or just the ancillary apps they try to include like Antivirus and "productivity packs" and the like? If there was a way to get Win10 without all the extra stuff they force on users (xbox, etc) that can't be removed, I'd consider it at some point.
    If not for the pile of Win only software I use, Mac would be on my list of alternates, with LINUX (Ubuntu, maybe) behind that.
    For someone wanting a generic Windows install, it's possible for download a Windows .iso directly from Microsoft and install it so no shovelware from the manufacturer. You might have to go on a driver hunt for any hardware not included in the download. Make sure you select the right version or it won't activate.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/soft...d/windows10ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stenzel View Post
    A few years ago we bought a pair of Toshiba laptops with Windows 8.0 for my daughters. My younger daughter liked that laptop so much she worked two jobs last summer so she could buy a lower end Mac Air laptop. I've never used it but I think it's wonderful. Not once has she brought it to me because something was fouled up, she's been able to figure out any problem she's run into.
    Well, she can't hasn't been able to write to the external hard drive she has as it's formatted NTFS. That's a solvable problem. For me anyway. For her, not so much.

To help funnel money for the Air I bought the Toshiba off of her, now running Win 8.1. I can see why she didn't like it, intermittent freezes, slow. Knocking out some of the useless services has it working better but I prefer the linux desktop for normal use. Linux won't run the tax software so the laptop takes care of that, another factor in my buying it.

In short, years ago I would have said that the Apple cost couldn't be justified. I no longer say that.

-Tom
    I would upgrade windows 8 to windows 10 I did that on my older laptop that had windows 8 and it ran a lot better

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    I would upgrade windows 8 to windows 10 I did that on my older laptop that had windows 8 and it ran a lot better
    I'm not going to bother with it. I really don't care for the keyboard, the wide aspect ratio of the screen is just goofy for my needs. Plus the fact I don't have a lap to set it on makes using it difficult. A desktop system suits me much better. For the limited role I use it for it works well enough.

Also:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/0...xpect_in_2018/

I'm not sure if I want an operating system that's a continual "work in progress". I've been burned by software vendors that removed features with an update because of changes in their business model (yes, I'm looking dead square at you, Yahoo). This was for software that I PAID FOR (YES I AM SHOUTING), bought in a package at a Best Buy years ago. Being at the mercy of a company's unknown ever changing business model is not where I want to be.

-Tom

Yeah, Windows 10 seemed neat at first, but the most recent Fall Creators Update actually had me rolling back the update and setting my 'net connection to metered so that I could manually control updating --- couldn't select text using the stylus (w/o switching to one which had a side button whose functionality was disabled apparently), and it wouldn't let me select drop down menus in an app I need for my tech support job.