Thread: Drilling cedar posts for cornering

Drilling cedar posts for cornering

I have 6ft cedar posts that I want to use for corners. How do I still the 45 degree angles evenly so that the sides/back will fit properly?

Quote Originally Posted by Toby Babbitt View Post
    I have 6ft cedar posts that I want to use for corners. How do I still the 45 degree angles evenly so that the sides/back will fit properly?
    "drill"? Corners for what? Post a drawing or photo of what you want to end up with. Clear questions yield useful answers.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

If you're referring to round cedar fence posts and are making the corner items, mine are centerline drilled with an approximate 1.75" Forstner bit in series of (3-4) slightly overlapping holes, indexed 90 degrees, drilled again and then the holes are cleaned up with a large wood chisel. The holes go about .75" past center. This provides a decent pair of 90 degree slots for the rails to slide into.
    Mac
    Last edited by Mac McQuinn; 01-10-2018 at 12:53 AM.

+1 on what Mac says. If using a rail with a tenon (easier) just choose the appropriate bit diameter.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Thank you so much.

I want to get the two angles the full six foot length of the post for a flat back and side to intersect.