Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: New to woodworking - table saw advice

You'll get plenty of utility from the rigid. It will perform best with a thin blade. Some of the smaller saws won't take a dado set. I'm only guessing, but I'd bet that rigid would take a dado.

Blog Entries
    I would point out that the saw stop would be a one time investment. The muskee fishing wouldn't have to suffer.

My trip to the ER cost more than the saw stop.

In the world of wood turning, they call this a “Vortex”. The same term applies to “flat” wood woorking. It sounds like you are about to get pulled in😀. If you are seriously thinking about getting into woodworking, you will be spending serious amounts of money in the years to come. It sounds like you already have a nice quantity of hardwood. That is worth hundreds if not thousands alone. But to really process that lumber and build furniture with it, you're going to need some machines. Unless you enjoy being frustrated, the lumber you have is going to require some heft and HP.
    Like thers have said, wait till you can find and afford a cabinet saw. A few months ago, i sold my immaculate condition PM 66 to a gentleman for $1000. I sold my PM 8” jointer for the same price. I sold my jet 20” planer for $600. All machines i sold thru CL in Dallas. All were in perfect condition and would have been perfect for a guy like you. My point is, deals are out there.
    My advice: 1) learn how to use a tablesaw safely from a very experienced person and or take a WW class. I believe so many accidents are caused from operators having little to no instruction.
    2) Do Not buy a contractor saw. They are not designed to cut thick, warped, oak. Even if working with veneer plywood and perfectly milled 3/4” oak, you still will wish you had a “real” tabl saw.
    3) Be careful! To me, your scenario sounds a little dangerous. Working with 8/4+ Oak, not flat and tru, using a light duty saw with little experience could quickly get ugly.

Cheers

Sorry for the wierd punctuation? For some reason, this site doest like the use of “quotations”? Has never done this before.