Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New (to me) Radial Arm Saw

I was always a fan of the old iron dewalts. If I had room, I’d take that project on. A wood shop where I learned power tool basics had a five HP monster that would cut several 2x4s after power was cut off. Not exactly a great safety feature, but wow.

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    On the other hand, my 1980 DeWalt 10" stays dead true on 90* (both ways) month after month. It is sort of like with my Unisaw fence. But a RAS with a stop block system on a fence is great for repeated-length cuts.
    My 80's vintage 12" RAS doesn't bump out of alignment (it cuts 90 degrees every time), and I use it exclusively for cut-offs. I knew an elderly woodworker in my youth who owned many hand tools, including a full set of Stanley planes; he obtained a portable display from a Stanley salesman, and used every plane in the display but one (he said to me once, "young man, the Stanley #1 is the most useless plane Stanley ever made"). Anyway, the most used power tool I saw in his shop was a very old, very heavy Dewalt 10" RAS. That man made beautiful furniture (he made every piece of furniture in his house, and he told me every power cut was done on his RAS). They aren't for everyone (lately few seem interested in them), but a good one can be useful.

I have a 1976ish Craftsman RAS. I use it ONLY for crosscuts. It's mounted on a long table and I can use it to break down 12' boards easily. Once I got it mounted, I got it lined up and HONKED down the settings. It cuts dead accurately and with a good negative hook blade, it makes very nice cuts. It's been worth the space it takes. I've used it in lots of "non revenue producing" projects here at home. I think it's very useful and a safe way to deal with long wide lumber.
    Tom