Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plywood bookcase mistake

Hi, I'd like to make another bookcase similar to this one. This time I'll use a face frame.

However for the case itself-- any recommendation other than a glued/screwed rabbit? Doweled butt joint?

One challenge is that I don't have clamps that are 80+ inches long, so I can't really apply clamping pressure in one direction. I can clamp the width.

So cut the rabbets in the vertical pieces and clamp across the width:

bookcase 1-16-18.png

Glue alone would be enough--especially with an added face frame, but you can reinforce with dowels, biscuits, dominoes, finish nails, brads, screws....

I've done lots of these with glue and finish nails.

Just like Jerry shows. Rabbets and dados with glue for the top, bottom and shelves, plus a rabbeted in back. I have built tons without anything but glue and they are holding 30 yrs +. Face frame makes it even better and you can run the rails on the FF wider than your drawer material to help prevent sagging if you want to.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Marty View Post
    One challenge is that I don't have clamps that are 80+ inches long, so I can't really apply clamping pressure in one direction. I can clamp the width.
    I've built a number of utility cases with shelves from both plywood and shelving pine from the big box store.

You can extend clamps in several ways, with straps, lengths of 2x4 with blocks, jigs, etc. Search google for extend clamps.
    If you buy a few pipe clamps you can get some long pipes for occasional use.
    You can also use weights at times, for tall case maybe jack from the ceiling or walls or something if built on the floor.

In my experience glue holding plywood in dados is sufficient. I like to add screws where looks don't matter which can eliminate most or all clamping. I always cut the rabbets in the side pieces as Jerry shows.

Another way to stiffen up a bookcase like this is to add a few vertical separators, fastened into dados in the shelves. (This also makes wider shelves stronger, nice for shop use.) Another way is to bolt it to a wall...

JKJ

Question What about Merle Clamps?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Marty View Post
    Hi, I'd like to make another bookcase similar to this one. This time I'll use a face frame.

However for the case itself-- any recommendation other than a glued/screwed rabbit? Doweled butt joint?

I have four Merle Metal Band Clamp I bought on 1992... they saw a lot of work in the past millennium and a few on this one...

The thing can replace a lot of bar clamps and can go 23' around but be warned the steel band sometimes can be a nuisance to work with... you will need some practice but the convenience is worth IMO.

All the best.