Thread: Building a Bluetooth speaker

Building a Bluetooth speaker

Has anyone here built a Bluetooth speaker?

If so, what type of components (tweeter, mid, bass etc) did you use and where'd you get them. I'm thinking veneer on (you guessed it) MDF.

Also, does anybody here know of good resources such as forums etc.

Thanks.
    Howard
    Howard Rosenberg

Hello Howard,

I haven't built a 'Bluetooth Speaker', but I've built speakers, and I've worked with Bluetooth.

What is it exactly you want to build? A tiny portable speaker? A full blown audio system? Something in between? These are very important questions.

Modules are available that make all the electronics easy. It can be as simple or as fancy as you want. The speaker itself is another matter. Anything more complex than a single full-range driver will require some real homework to get right, and even that has it's pitfalls for the unwary.

For parts I highly recommend https://www.parts-express.com/

For knowledge about speakers this is a book I found very informative and explanatory https://www.parts-express.com/speake...-book--500-044

A web site you might find helpful with questions http://www.diyaudio.com/

Good luck!
    Last edited by Ken Sanderson; 01-07-2018 at 11:53 AM.

Thanks Ken.

I'll take a look at those links.

I'd like to make something full-range - I guess multiple speakers and crossovers. Portable Bluetooth for the wireless aspect. Multiple speakers because I find the midrange muffled in so many of the speakers I look at. I'm not looking for reference-quality hi-fi, just something that sounds (a lot) better than the little holes in my iphone!

Howard
    Howard Rosenberg

Understandable.

Something to look at is motivation. Honestly, a quality sounding portable Bluetooth speaker can be had for as little as $100. For the same performance, it would be difficult to make something with the same money, let alone the time investment inherent in any project.

I've had people ask me this before because I worked in electronics before I learned woodworking. If cost is your main motivator, then building your own probably won't be worth it. If cost is secondary, but you also want to make something you can use and take satisfaction in having made for yourself, then I would say go ahead - just know that getting it right will probably take a bit more investment of time and money than you at first thought.

Just my 2 cents.

I made a small one out of plywood a couple of years ago. Got the speaker at a thrift store for about $2. I think it was an old standalone PC speaker. Made the speaker fabric from a reusable grocery bag (this pet I’ll do again for sure - it looked great). Parts express for the Bluetooth receiver and amp. Or amazon.

Anyway, it was cheap, but sounded WAY better than a phone speaker. I have it to a friend as a Christmas present and he still uses it a couple of years later.

Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Falgiano View Post
    I made a small one out of plywood a couple of years ago. Got the speaker at a thrift store for about $2...
    I hadn't thought of retrofitting an existing speaker acquired cheaply.

That's a good idea.

I recently built one for my shop.
    20171208_105135-800x600.jpg

20171208_105158-800x600_crop_570x361.jpg

I bought the Bluetooth board on EBay, speaker and power supply from Parts Express, and a rechargeable battery on Amazon. The most expensive part was the rechargeable battery. It works great for me with the full range speakers. Maybe would not satisfy an audiophile but great in the shop.

Rockler has a kit that they recently released too: LINK

Im sure its overpriced like most rebranded stuff they sell, but there it is.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    Rockler has a kit that they recently released too: LINK
    I was wondering where I'd seen that.

And I agree it is overpriced, again because you can get a complete unit for the same price.

https://www.amazon.com/DOSS-Wireless...speakers&psc=1
    Last edited by Ken Sanderson; 01-08-2018 at 8:40 AM.

I think you're missing the point of the Rockler kit. What a great gift idea for some extra exotic wood scraps I have.

Howard, where ever you get your Bluetooth electronics, the speakers will be the determining factor in how good the system sounds. Parts Express, Meniscus Audio, and Madisound all offer speaker kits.

From experience, I can highly recommend any of the Over Night Sensation models. Paul has a wonderful ear for voicing speakers.

Rollie