Thread: Frame Saw?

Frame Saw?

In a previous post I started inquiring about a tenon saw. Today I got to thinking about the possibility of a small frame saw. I actually have a larger one hanging up and took it down. Mind you I need to do a bit of sharpening but I kinda like it.
    So anyone here using a frame saw?

crosscut.jpg
    Built this one using some maple scraps....needs a sharpening, and I need to learn how to grip it...

Have used mine a great deal over the years. They used to be very inexpensive. At todays prices I would definitely build one. Great to cut curves as well as straight lines.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Here's my first time using one:

1sawing.jpg

Anyone have a source for cross cut blades?

Isaac Smith at Blackburn Tools has parts, including blades, to build Roubo style and Danish style frame saws.

Blackburn Tools
    http://www.blackburntools.com/new-to...kit/index.html

TonyC

You can also check Woodjoy Tools. Not sure what you’re planning to saw with it, but my experience is the wider japanese pull stroke bow saw blades (about 1 1/2” wide) are excellent for straight line cutting and very gentle curves. They come in rip, crosscut, and universal. If you plan to saw more curved work, look into a narrower blade...3/8” maybe.
    Last edited by Phil Mueller; 01-07-2018 at 9:55 AM.

Paul Sellers just uses Bandsaw blades.

Mine?
    new saw.jpg
    Uses allthread to tension. The blade and hardware came fro a couple Butcher's Meat saws......most any antique store has a few hanging around..cheap.

Traditional Chinese Woodworking forums, by GE Hong, has a few videos out about how to build one like this. The fellow has well over 30 such saws, sitting around in his small shop. All different sizes. Might be worth a look?

Blog Entries
    I have two frame saws. I made one after a Paul Sellers class. They cut fast.
    Actually one is a bow saw and one a frame saw. It is easy to make a bow saw.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 01-08-2018 at 9:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    You can also check Woodjoy Tools. Not sure what you’re planning to saw with it, but my experience is the wider japanese pull stroke bow saw blades (about 1 1/2” wide) are excellent for straight line cutting and very gentle curves. They come in rip, crosscut, and universal. If you plan to saw more curved work, look into a narrower blade...3/8” maybe.
    I mostly use those blades in my bowsaws (which is what this thread is really about, a framesaw is a somewhat different beast). I cut on the push with them because that's what I prefer. The bow provides enough stiffness that there's no reason to cut on the pull.

Blog Entries
    There was another thread that may be pertinent: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...saw&highlight=

Blog Entries
    I have 4 shop built frame saws (2 rip, 2 crosscut). I built them when I was just getting started with hand tools. I like the idea of the lightweight and having the blade under tension which allows it to be a little bit thinner than a traditional Western panel saw.

That said, I never really got the hang of using them. They cut real fast but it was much easier for me to saw to a straight layout line with a panel saw. I think it might be something about the balance of of frame saws which feel kind of "top-heavy" to me.

I've tried to use my largest Frame 5 PPI sawt for resawing but was ultimately unsatisfied because:

A ) Re-sawing by hand sucks period, at least for an old, fat guy like me.

B) I consistently had difficulty tracking the layout line – inevitably the offside (side farthest away from the sawyer) always ends up drifting away from the line.

It's probably more about me than the saws, but personally I prefer Western panel saws. The frame saws mostly hang in the shop. The one I use the most is a small frame with 9 PPI rip blade that works well for sawing dovetails in really thick (4") stock.

Cheers, Mike