Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Live edge walnut slab end table w/ metal base

Live edge walnut slab end table w/ metal base

SWMBO came along to a new lumber supplier, and saw this "oval" live edge slab for $50 and insisted building something with it.

First step was to remove the bark. A power washer made short, very easy, very clean work of that. Stripped the bark right off and left a smooth surface without removing any of the interesting live edge detail.

Then, I ordered some square tubing from an online metal supplier, taught myself to weld, and threw this together.

A bit of treatment with a flap disk sander mounted in the angle grinder (and a bit of bondo) and it looked pretty good.

Finish on the slab is BLO, then a coat of 1# dewaxed shellac, then several coats of semi-gloss polycrylic (I was tempted to use something "better" like a EM2000, but $7/qt vs $40/qt...)

Shellac and polycrylic were sprayed in my dusty garage with a $10 hook-to-your-air-compressor spray gun. I would be very interested to hear any critical comments on the quality of the finish, because I'm impressed with how well this product/method worked, but would like to improve if opportunity exists.

I think it’s great. Perfect timing as I’m building my own. I did the iron pipe look but thought about the welded stand like yours. In the end I wanted the industrial pipe look but will admit galvanized pipe is a pain to paint.

Thought about spraying mine too but again wanted that almost plastic look like epoxy. Like you I didn’t want to drop $40 to $100 for the epoxy though, so I went with built up layers of poly. I think spraying would have been much easier since I’ve been fighting tiny air bubbles each time.

I may may make another table the size of yours for an end table to go with the coffee table I’m building so I appreciate your sharing for my inspiration. Awesome job!

"Then, I ordered some square tubing from an online metal supplier, taught myself to weld, and threw this together."

Humble brag.

I really like this piece. Tasteful base (does not look 'threw' together). Great shape and presentation of that slab.

Nicely done.

Thanks, guys. Most importantly, SWMBO believes she was essential in the commission of this piece, so there is value, there

Prashun, I will admit that I probably spent more time with a flap disk sander than I spent welding. And there is some "structural Bondo putty" in those joints

Nice!!!!!!!!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    Thanks, guys. Most importantly, SWMBO believes she was essential in the commission of this piece, so there is value, there

Prashun, I will admit that I probably spent more time with a flap disk sander than I spent welding. And there is some "structural Bondo putty" in those joints

Don’t worry. Ive welded many a thing that I was later glad couldn’t be seen. LOL

still learning myself. My Dad has been welding for 50+ years and makes it look easy. He stick welds most things but I use a Miller mig welder to butcher stuff myself. For me welding is about patching stuff up and not about structural integrity. I turn to a real professional for anything critical but do like being able to do my own basic repairs or artistic stuff. Keep on practicing as just like wood work that is the only way to get better. But your base turned out great!
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 01-06-2018 at 7:19 PM.

Then, I ordered some square tubing from an online metal supplier, taught myself to weld, and threw this together.
    Very nice work, both the metal and the wood. I love the soft finish - I'm not much of a fan of mirror gloss.

Now you have welding skills you will be unstoppable unless until you run out of imagination. I can't imagine not having welding capability now. (And with 8000 lbs of a variety of steel in the shed I have no good excuse for not using it more!)

Did you sandblast, prime and paint? There's a power-coating facility near here I've been wanting to try.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post

Did you sandblast, prime and paint? There's a power-coating facility near here I've been wanting to try.
    Thanks, John. I just sanded with a flap sander disk and sprayed with rattle can paint (and primer).

..Very attractive, Dan. Beautiful job finishing. I made a small table with three legs once and it turned out to be very unstable if something was set on it wrong or bumped. If you find a problem with stability you could expand the base with some walnut feet. It looks great.

I like that A LOT! The shape of both the wood, and your stand, are perfect!

I'm in awe of your first attempt at welding. What type of welder did you use? (A brand and model number would make it very tempting for me to try my hand at welding too! )

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I'm in awe of your first attempt at welding. What type of welder did you use? (A brand and model number would make it very tempting for me to try my hand at welding too! )
    The welder was borrowed from my father, and he has a much stronger sense of thrift than I do (), so it's the cheapest MIG model that Harbor Freight sells. Running flux-core wire (no gas). I've got to say: for being potentially the poorest-quality wire-feed welder available (and using flux-core instead of shielding gas, no less), it did a pretty OK job. I had never welded before, but found it pretty intuitive and easy to do. I'd like to play with a nicer welder, but given how infrequently I need to weld anything, I'd have a hard time justifying a ~$900 Miller vs the ~$200 HF...

Uuugh I feel dirty having typed that. I'm going to go fondle a few of my Festools...

Hehehe! From HF to Festool - what a contrast!
    Thanks Dan!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Wow very cool piece the walnut is pure art. I don't care for the stand that much.
    If there was a like button I would click it.
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    The welder was borrowed from my father, and he has a much stronger sense of thrift than I do (), so it's the cheapest MIG model that Harbor Freight sells. Running flux-core wire (no gas). I've got to say: for being potentially the poorest-quality wire-feed welder available (and using flux-core instead of shielding gas, no less), it did a pretty OK job. I had never welded before, but found it pretty intuitive and easy to do. I'd like to play with a nicer welder, but given how infrequently I need to weld anything, I'd have a hard time justifying a ~$900 Miller vs the ~$200 HF...
    Uuugh I feel dirty having typed that. I'm going to go fondle a few of my Festools...
    Ha! You keep away from my router, I don't want my one Festool corrupted.

Although I used to be a welding inspector, I didn't learn to weld until much later and bought a little Lincoln flux-core welder, a WeldPack 100 from Home Depot a couple of decades ago. I've done all kinds of things with it! Its size and weight, lack of a bottle of gas, and the fact that it plugs into 110v makes it so portable, the one I take when need to weld something on the farm away from the shop or at a friend's house. It will even weld surprisingly thick steel if you preheat, turn the amperage up, and lay down multiple layers.

I even used it when building my shop, welding all the rebar junctions in the main shop slab:

welding_rebar_2012-11-09_16-02-17_969.jpg

I've since acquired a big ac/dc stick welder, a Miller MIG machine with gas, a Miller TIG welder, and the prize possession - a Hypertherm plasma torch. Whoa baby! This will cut 1/2" clean and 1" sloppy, easy as melted butter, stainless, anything. All these plug into 50A 220V so they stay around the shop. The two Millers will also work on 110v but at reduced capacity. With a portaband, a horizontal bandsaw, a hydraulic press, a oxy-acetylene torch, and a mill and lathe I've been able to make or fix almost anything I need around the farm. Almost as much fun as playing with wood!

BTW, for those who might wonder if they can do it, the flux core welders are extremely easy to use - about as hard to use as a pencil. I've had kids weld with it after a couple minutes of intro. There is a little more to know to make consistent strong welds with good penetration but you can learn that in a heartbeat. The biggest thing is cleaning the metal first! The biggest downside to flux-core welding is there is a lot of spatter compared to MIG but it's nothing a few wire brushes and flap sanders won't take care of quickly. I've used it on things from thick plate to truck body repair to very thin sheet metal on a generator shroud. I do recommend getting the spool adapter to use the 10lb wire spools instead of the 2lb spools.

Dan, I don't see in your profile where you live but if you happen to be within driving distance my shop is open if you want to try out some welders or just play with steel. (And maybe cut a slab on the sawmill for your next steel/wood thing!)

JKJ

Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )
    Dan:

I like it - the finish has that satin(y) look I prefer, the simple design and slab are great choices.

My only concern is the two screws holding the wide end of the slab - are the holes in the metal slotted to allow for wood movement?

Nice job -

Dave B