Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: An inexpensive dust bucket saw dust level sensor new cheaper parts

I bought a din rail timer from allied electronics for about 20 bucks. Set it for 30 seconds. I have it close a contactor in the power circuit and shut the collector off. As another note I also used a din rail power supply for about 15 bucks that eliminated the wall wart.

Thanks to Ron Sheridan, I have my sensor and delay timer figured out and ready for installation. I will post pictures of it when installed.

I am gathering pieces and parts to build one of these gizmos for the new shop. I am planning to use the delay timer as I think that is a good idea. I am planning to put everything in a sealed box, and was thinking of using a "dust-proof" box. I may also install a magnehelic gauge in the same enclosure to keep everything semi-tidy.

So, flashing light, and maybe a siren mounted on the face (lid) of the box, timer inside the box.

My question: Does anyone that has installed one of these know if the timer generates any appreciable heat? Would I need a vented enclosure?

Also thinking about activating a relay from the timer to power down the DC. If I do that I would put the relay in its own enclosure.
    Regards,

Kris

Hi Kris, a sealed box is fine for the timer, it will not overheat....Rod

Thanks Rod.
    Regards,

Kris

You're welcome Kris, I look forward to hearing how you like your level sensor.............Rod.

I finished my bin sensor today using the delay circuit and it works great. I will post some pictures of it in a day or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    I finished my bin sensor today using the delay circuit and it works great. I will post some pictures of it in a day or so.
    Glad to hear that you are happy with it........Rod.

Hey guys, super information! I built this based on the design. I am just finishing with the install of my clearvue 1800. Question: I ran the clearvue with flex hose into 6" PVC and noticed appreciable static build up. This is not surprising from what I've heard, especially on dry days and when using flex hose in conjunction with PVC. I got zapped a couple of times and then noticed that the static was discharging (arc-ing across the O-ring visibly and audibly) into the sensor. I shut it down and checked and my power supply for the sensor was fried. I had to order a new one, but I am guessing that the sensor is likely fried too. Anyone else have a similar issue? I am using a steel 55 gal drum for my collection barrell. Any thoughts on how to avoid this going forward?
    Thanks,
    Chris Holder

Wow. Hopefully someone will chime in that has dealt with this specifically. A couple of thoughts/questions that might help:

Do you have anything else in the circuit; just wall wart with power going through the sensor to a light?

Where are the components mounted?

At a minimum I would think you would want to ground the steel drum. You can do that by using a bonding jumper from the DC ground or run a separate ground from a bonding lug on the drum to ground.
    Regards,

Kris

That's right. Simple wall wart power supply to the sensor. My first thought was to ground the drum separately, maybe with a mag ground to avoid putting another hole in it, but just not sure as I've read so much conflicting info about trying to ground PVC DC pipe.

I agree it is confusing on PVC and static in general.

You can't really ground PVC - any grounding is providing a "drain" for static to dissipate.

I have seen everything from spiral wrapping with copper wire, to running foil tape inside and/or outside, to doing nothing at all.

I still haven't decided whether I am using metal or plastic pipe for my DC system on the new shop build.

One thing I would say about using a magnetic grounding connection - you will need good metal to metal contact. If your drum is painted you would want to at a minimum remove the paint in the area of the connection. I would think a properly sealed hole near the top of the drum for a proper grounding connector wouldn't be an issue.

Keep us posted.
    Regards,

Kris

The top of my card board dust bin is metal and grounded. My sensor is mounted in the metal lid.

Still waiting on those pictures Larry...
    Regards,

Kris

Built this, seems to work well. 1 thing i did notice is the sensor has a rectangular shape so i drilled a hole and caulked it. I havent reached a fill yet so im not 100% it works but it does work when i wave my hand over it.