Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: An inexpensive dust bucket saw dust level sensor new cheaper parts

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Space View Post
    I like high tech and all that, but for the chip collector that precedes my dust collector, I simply put a lexan window in the door so I can see how full the trash can is, and this works brilliantly for me.

Simple, low tech, no batteries to replace, no electronic failures expected...

Bill
    I have a Plexiglas window in my chip barrel and can keep a pretty good eye on the level. However, today I thought I could plane just a few more boards and ended up filling up my filter cartridges. It was a huge mess to clean up. I ordered two of the bin level sensors this evening.

Update to 9 volt battery as a power supply, as I thought the 9 volt battery does work, but not very long, I had the battery attached to the my dust sensor and the battery lasted two weeks, longer than I expected. John was correct The 9 volt was not a good choice but I had it and it was good for testing the concept of the $4.10 sensor. I will be using a wall wart for the power supply.

Anyone have a suggestion for an audible alarm? I got some cheap alarm buzzers from Amazon but I don't think they'll be loud enough. They'd be OK for an alarm clock or normal ambient conditions, but with a D/C and thickness planer running and wearing ear pro, I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cav View Post
    Anyone have a suggestion for an audible alarm? I got some cheap alarm buzzers from Amazon but I don't think they'll be loud enough. They'd be OK for an alarm clock or normal ambient conditions, but with a D/C and thickness planer running and wearing ear pro, I don't think so.
    The sensor/alarm device I bought from ClearVue uses an off-the-shelf fire alarm module. This has a bright strobe light and an audible alarm, powered by a low DC voltage. I'd have to take mine apart to see the exact brand and model number but a quick search shows a variety available, for example: https://www.systemsensor.com/en-us/P...n-Strobes.aspx

Theirs came mounted on a red box but I removed it and wired it into the bin sensor and wireless remote circuitry I stuffed into a larger grey box from Home Depot. This thing will get your attention.

electrical_shop_s.jpg

JKJ

Lane, you are awesome for posting this! I was just looking at a DIY and saw the price of the sensor Oneida uses- crazy. I came across the sensor you used and figured someone must have tried it, thanks Google and thank you for posting. I just ordered my sensor for ~$3, shipped. I may not have it for a while, depending on shipping from China, but that $3 includes shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/183505099268

Cheers!

Has anyone had trouble with false alarms? If I am moving a lot of dust my sensor will alarm. As the volume decreases the ararm stops. Maybe I need to develop a shield inside the bin to limit the dust movement across the sensor. Any ideas would be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Curtis View Post
    Has anyone had trouble with false alarms? If I am moving a lot of dust my sensor will alarm. As the volume decreases the ararm stops. Maybe I need to develop a shield inside the bin to limit the dust movement across the sensor. Any ideas would be helpful.
    Hi Matthew, I had that issue, it seems a short swirl of debris would go past the sensor, triggering it.

I built revision 2 with a time delay of 10 seconds.

Here's the information on what I built.

Timer Diagram.jpgSensor.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi Matthew, I had that issue, it seems a short swirl of debris would go past the sensor, triggering it.

I built revision 2 with a time delay of 10 seconds.

Here's the information on what I built.

Timer Diagram.jpgSensor.pdf
    Rod. Where did you get the delay equipment?

The cost of electronics these days is astoundingly cheap. We are developing a new gadget and getting the PCB made in China @ $2.86 each for ten units.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

I found the delay circuit on eBay for $4.95. I used Google image search to find it.

I built a home made system based on this thread last spring; it worked for about six months and has been dead for the last three months or so. I think the sensor failed. I may buy a new sensor and give it another try later but for now I just watch the window in the barrel.

Lightbulb

Lane, not trying to hijack your thread, but I have these switches laying around that I used in my "red-neck" outdoor pool ( ) to warn me of the water level changing.

Liquid Water Level Sensor Horizontal Float Switch

These have a simple reed switch in the stationary part and a magnet in the moving arm. I'm going to try them in my dust bucket, but I'm going to stack them vertically like I did in my pool. They will be wired in the #1 position or normally closed (see image) to keep the sawdust from clogging up the switch motion. The lower one will give a "yellow light" warning, and the upper one "red light" could actually control the power to the DC vacuum (with the right controller which I've already found for my pool .) A crafty person could glue a paddle or vane to the moving arm if needed for extending the reach.

Anyway, thanks for the idea that reminded me of my junk box!

DustCollectorFloatSwitch_eBay.png
    Paul
    These words are my opinion, WYLION. Any resemblance to truth or fiction is accidental at best.
    "Truth lies dormant in our future history." ― Paul Lawrence LXXI

I have all the parts ordered including the delay circuit. I am amazed at the cheap price and free shipping on the electronic devices from China. They are on a slow boat but will eventually get here.

Who has built the sensor using the delay board and what settings did you use? Rod Sheridan helped me with what he did but I still can not get it to work.

I am very inexperienced with electronics and struggling with this. I may just find a relay board and use it without the delay part. If the light comes on occasionally, that is fine. Now, I just need to find the right relay board.

Hi Larry, what problem are you experiencing?

I used a 10 second delay on mine............Rod.

Here's the drawing for mine. I've included a drawing for the PNP and the NPN sensor.
    Attached Images Attached Images