Thread: Drill Press Running Out

Drill Press Running Out

MY FAULT. Bought a Jet JdP 15M used. It ran looked good. Everything worked. Got it home and it's running out. About +- .020. Any fix for this?

Scott

It may be that the chuck isn't seated correctly. Drop it out and reseat the taper it to see if that mitigates the runout you are experiencing.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I agree with Jim. It could be crap in the taper. Clean it and recheck. If it's still out, check the run-out on the main shaft. If that is ok, the chuck side of the Morse taper is bent. Buy a new chuck. Had exactly this problem with a Jet a couple of years back. I got the drill for nothing because it was wobbly. Replaced the chuck and taper and it is perfect. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

Yea, I mentioned reseating because I had the identical issue with my own Jet drill press when I first got it. In fact, I actually need to reseat it now as I noticed a little bit of fluctuation recently while working on a project that involved a lot of drilling and it wasn't limited to one bit...which could have indicated a bad bit otherwise.
    --

Thanks for the advice. Now looking for the proper tool for banging the chuck out of there. It seems really stuck and I can see some pitting on the inside of the taper (taper? is that the part that holds the chuck?) Explains why it's running out. I think someone jammed it in there somewhat crooked. I had a tool ordered from Tooldex that they might deliver after Feb 9. Cancelled order. Can't wait that long. So what tool and where to get?

Thanks,
    Scott

The tool for removing the taper/chuck is usually a flat piece of steel about 3/16" thick or so that has a tapered edge. You tap it in from the side and it pries the taper out from above...at least on my Jet DP. (Golly, I hope I didn't throw out that tool. LOL )
    --

Blog Entries
    A drift key (google it) will remove the arbor which can be a piece of steel with a taper that slips into the chuck on one end and a taper that slips into the spindle on the other. There are various methods but, on machines that we run into in the garage shop the arbor being popped out with a drift key seems to be common.

Sounds like there is a slot in the socket to use a drift key. Drift keys are sized by the taper probably a #2 or if a bigger machine #3

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Welty View Post
    ...Bought a Jet JdP 15M...it's running out. About +- .020...
    Afraid that's about what you should expect from such a machine. But check to see if it's coming from the spindle or just the chuck.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

I had a Jet floor model and had too much run out and also a lot of quill slop. I reseated the chuck and arbor and made almost no difference. Most of the current drill presses have no way to reduce quill slop.

I ended up buying a new drill press with very little run out or quill slop.
    Last edited by Larry Frank; 01-16-2018 at 7:41 PM.

Here is a "how to" demonstration showing removal of the chuck using the tool and also a scrap piece of wood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbI_7IHAsyw
    Frankie

I have a great Border Collie, she just can't hold her licker!