Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tiny Mortise and Tenon

Tiny Mortise and Tenon

I have a proposed project using 5/16" thick hardwoods and relatively small pieces that I'd like to connect using mortise and tenon. But maybe I am just stuck in a rut and can't think about alternative joinery to M&T. The volume of connections is such that I have to use some type of machining, hand cutting the mortises is out of the question.

The tenons ... no problem ... but what do I do for the mortise? I assume I should just jig up my router table with a 1/8" or 5/32" plunge bit? Is there such a bit? This is where I wish I had one of JTE's router based mortisers.

Am I missing an obvious way to mill really small pieces together?
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

What are you actually making? It seems that would help determine if there is a better joinery method. To me it seems that the walls of the mortise might be to thin and could be an issue.

They are lightweight frames. The tenon (and mortise) would provide significantly more strength than a simple butt joint. Half-laps could possibly work but would add undesirable aesthetics. The frames will be clear coated ... not sure yet but likely I'll spray with a waterborne conversion varnish. The specific species have not been chosen, but will be a typical close-grained eastern hardwood (maple, cherry, perhaps walnut). Total size is 14" by 10" or thereabouts.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

think Jack Forsberg posted a 1/8" mortise chisel, doesnt seem possible as im saying it however im not ready for the retirement home either so maybe the memory is correct.

4mm domino?

I see that article (thank you) on Canadian Woodworker ... Jack displays a 3mm which he said was very hard to get (not available NA) and very expensive. I have the Domino and actually have 4mm tenons ... technically that should work.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    4mm domino?
    That could work! I was actually just measuring those in the shop (C O L D) ... but then does anyone use the Domino for mortises on the ends of pieces 8mm by say 30mm? It feels like an operation where I'd want a fixed tool rather than a portable one.

There are 1/8" bits, but in 5/16" hardwood, you should buy several of them. They are easy to break.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

You could do these on a Leigh FMT - Leigh sells bits for this.

https://www.leighjigs.com/fmt_overview.php

This looks like a simple build that could possibly work ...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKtx799hjkC/

When you say lightweight frames, do you mean pictures frames?

For something that small my first thought would be to keep it simple. Half lap joint miter, or possibly just a butt joint. Wonder if 2p-10 would work?

Usually for thinner stock, I look to splines as a joinery choice. Would that be an option?

You could cut the splines slots with a slot cutter at the router table, or on the table saw or with a biscuit joiner.

If you're up for dowel joinery, you could fashion dowels from dowel rods from a home center. I would think smaller diameter dowel pins are available also. If it's a production situation, I think splines would be faster than dowels in the absence of specialized machinery.

Edwin

How about a bridle joint - see John's post.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Adamsen View Post
    That could work! I was actually just measuring those in the shop (C O L D) ... but then does anyone use the Domino for mortises on the ends of pieces 8mm by say 30mm? It feels like an operation where I'd want a fixed tool rather than a portable one.
    Can you place the mortises on a wider piece of material spaced such that ripping them after mortises are cut with the Domino can happen? (kerf width taken into consideration) that would provide you with a more stable workpiece to cut those tiny slots with the machine...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Well, if you want one of my HRM's you can have one. Not hard to build, or send me a PM. Amana does make a 3/16" plunge router bit as well as smaller diameter ones, all with a 1/8" shank. They also sell some 1/4" shank ones but I'm not sure they will plunge cut. Eagle American has some small 1/4" shank ones, too, and I'm sure there are others. Once you find the right router bit what you want to do would be a simple task on a HRM.

John