Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shear Scraping

Shear Scraping

A new video from me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeOh...2tkj0hw03c010c

robo hippy

Thanks for the link Robo. I do follow you but was unable to open this video through that link!
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Reed, I endorse the shear scrape demo in your video. I learned to do this early on in my quest for a decent finish and less sanding. While my tools differ a bit from yours (I do like your double sided tool!), my angle of use is identical. I believe my underside angle may be more acute than yours, but I don’t think that adds anything and may make the tool too aggressive for someone unfamiliar with it.

Linguistically, I think the term has to be “shear” vs “sheer” as they have totally different meanings either as verbs or adjectives. I doubt anyone cares, though!
    Last edited by John Keeton; 11-13-2017 at 2:13 PM.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Shear vs Sheer

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Linguistically, I think the term has to be “shear” vs “sheer” as they have totally different meanings either as verbs or adjectives. I doubt anyone cares, though!
    I like to ponder words and meanings, probably since I use them incorrectly so often but hope to do better when I grow up.
    I checked "sheer" and "shear" on Vocabulary.com (a great resource)

Used with the word "scrape" perhaps a case could be made for either,
    "Sheer scrape": remove wood shavings so thin light goes through them, or
    "Shear scrape" : cut closely to the final form, scraping away even the tiniest of irregularities.

But as you imply, sheer, shear, what's a single letter among friends. (And how do you pronounce either in Southern? Midwestern? NewYorken?)

I propose "sheear" to cover all bases. "Hey Bubba, hand me that there sheear scraper. Ow!"

JKJ

------------------------------------------------------
    SHEER

adjectives:
    - so thin as to transmit light
    - of relatively small extent from one surface to the opposite or in cross section
    - complete and without restriction or qualification; sometimes used informally as intensifiers
    - complete, having every necessary or normal part or component or step
    - pure, free of extraneous elements of any kind
    - very steep; having a prominent and almost vertical front, having a sharp inclination

verbs:
    - turn sharply; change direction abruptly; change orientation or direction, also in the abstract sense
    - cause to sheer; direct the course; determine the direction of traveling

adverb:
    - directly; straight up or down without a break

--------------------
    SHEAR

verbs:
    - cut or cut through with shears
    - cultivate, tend, and cut back the growth of
    - become deformed by forces tending to produce a shearing strain
    - undergo a change; become different in essence; losing one's or its original nature
    - cut closely (as in shaving your face, or shearing wool from a llama)

nouns:
    - a large edge tool that cuts sheet metal by passing a blade through it
    - any cutting tool with a sharp cutting edge (as a chisel or knife or plane or gouge)
    - (physics) a deformation of an object in which parallel planes remain parallel but are shifted in a direction parallel to themselves
    - Type of deformation; alteration in the shape or dimensions of an object as a result of the application of stress to it

--------------------

You pronounce them the same, so the confusion is all the fault of the English language..... Now, I will probably find out it isn't even English...

Not sure what the next video will be, but I have a couple of months of experimenting to do before I tackle the NRS.

robo hippy

Reed. Can you show how you make that spear point type scraper.

Sam, mostly it is a lot of grinding. I do take an abrasive blade on my Skil Saw, and lop off the corners, then take it to a 36 grit belt on a 2 hp. belt sander to refine the shape a bit, then finish the bevel on the CBN wheels. If you don't want to waste the metal, then start with a round nose, and sweep back more on the edges every time you use it. The square nose is to keep me from going above the center balance line. Don't really use it, though I have thought of making that part into a NRS.

Hope that explains it some.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    .... I propose "sheear" to cover all bases. "Hey Bubba, hand me that there sheear scraper. Ow!"
    I might as well join in, although being from Texas, English is my second language.

When used as a verb the difference between shear and sheer often leads to confusion because of sometimes similar, but different meanings. However, the adjective "sheer" means “nothing other than,” “unmitigated,” or “of very thin or transparent texture.” A less common use of "sheer" as a noun would mean a sudden change in direction or straight up or down as in a "sheer cliff". The noun "shear" refers to the act or process of cutting or slicing. The terms "shear cut" and "shear scrape" are noun phrases.

The simple way to remember which is correct would be if whatever you are talking about has anything to do with slicing or cutting then the correct word to use is "shear" (sheep shearing, wind shear, metal shears, shear scraping, etc). Otherwise, "sheer" is usually the right word (sheer luck, sheer cliff, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    You pronounce them the same, so the confusion is all the fault of the English language....
    If you spoke Texian then you would hear the difference.

Sheer = "she your" -- Hey, Hoss, how bout we climb that "she-your" cliff.

Shear = "shay-your" -- Billy Bob, hand me them thar sheep '"shar-yours".

It helps if you got a really big chaw in your cheek.
    Bill

Then there is sheer as in naval architecture where the fore and aft of the deck are higher than the middle. There are also "reverse sheer" boats where there middle of the boat is higher than the fore and aft. I wonder if there is any use of "reverse sheer" in turning?

C

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Bach View Post
    Then there is sheer as in naval architecture where the fore and aft of the deck are higher than the middle. There are also "reverse sheer" boats where the middle of the boat is higher than the fore and aft. I wonder if there is any use of "reverse sheer" in turning?
    How about turning with the lathe running in reverse, does that count? (Often easier to put the gouge to the inside a bowl that way when working from the front of the lathe) Occasionally (but rarely) I can get better surfaces when the grain in the piece is oddly figured.

Someone told me they saw Greame Priddle using a skew with the lathe in reverse by holding the skew UNDER the tool rest instead of on top! (Sounds tricky. Greame said he has used two skews at once, one in each hand, just for show I assume. Sounds trickier.) There you go, someone quick, make an insane YouTube video with two handed reverse turning and reverse sheer scraping. Be famous.

JKJ

Or, more likely infamous! I suspect the excitement would be rather quick and dramatic!

Left click my name for homepage link.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Or, more likely infamous! I suspect the excitement would be rather quick and dramatic!
    John Lucas and I both want to practice the dual skew idea now. It might be a fun way to start out a skew demo! He has started a demo using an huge axe as a skew.

The more I think of it I'm not sure it would be that difficult. I often use one skew in one hand and have practiced planing with a skew by feel without looking. (a wide skew works better for this!!) But I'm more comfortable with it in my right hand - two skews might put one's ambidexterity to the test!

If one person could master using the skew in reverse UNDER the tool rest, think of the possibilities for the youtube video - one person could stand on each side of the lathe and both turn the same piece of wood at the same time! Blindfolded?

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    John Lucas and I both want to practice the dual skew idea now. It might be a fun way to start out a skew demo! He has started a demo using an huge axe as a skew.

The more I think of it I'm not sure it would be that difficult. I often use one skew in one hand and have practiced planing with a skew by feel without looking. (a wide skew works better for this!!) But I'm more comfortable with it in my right hand - two skews might put one's ambidexterity to the test!

If one person could master using the skew in reverse UNDER the tool rest, think of the possibilities for the youtube video - one person could stand on each side of the lathe and both turn the same piece of wood at the same time! Blindfolded?

JKJ
    Don't forget using a skew Annie Oakley style ... with your back turned to the lathe and using a handheld mirror in one hand and reaching behind your back to turn with the skew in the other hand. No face shield needed.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Boehme View Post
    Don't forget using a skew Annie Oakley style ... with your back turned to the lathe and using a handheld mirror in one hand and reaching behind your back to turn with the skew in the other hand. No face shield needed.
    Sounds like that could be a pain in the... behind.

OK this thread is going on where fast. What is the right angle to sharpen a shear scraper? Do I need a burr? I can't wait on a video too old for all this nonsense. I have watched two videos With Out/info. What ever happened to the shear scraping with carbide cutters. I know of two a) a shear carbide cutter and b) a square carbide cutter with a radius held at an angle. No sharpening involved. Do these shear scraper only work on end grain?