Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Propane heaters

There are no pilot lights on modern equipment, Bill...if the unit isn't actually heating water, there's near zero energy usage. Only a very tiny amount of electricity to power the circuitry that monitors water flow is used when heating is not in progress.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Bill be honest you guys don't need heat in your area. Air conditioning is more important to you. If you open a deep freezer and hold your hand on the bottom for a while, that is our warm temperature of the day and has been for the last 3 weeks.

The OP is needing heat for his shop with existing radiators so we have drifted a little off topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    There are no pilot lights on modern equipment, Bill...if the unit isn't actually heating water, there's near zero energy usage. Only a very tiny amount of electricity to power the circuitry that monitors water flow is used when heating is not in progress.
    ? ?
    I thought tank type water heaters still used a pilot light

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    ? ?
    The last one I had before going tankless years ago didn't have a pilot. It used an igniter. Those prior did have a pilot. I do not remember the brand/model at this point, unfortunately.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I do know that the borgs have water heaters that we can not buy in our part of the state. But they can sell them all in Nevada. To buy the aluminum/tar roof coating I will have to make a trip to Nevada this spring.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    ? ?

They do. I just installed a new gas water heater this past fall with a standing pilot. The heat generated from the pilot does go up the flue, but it's negligible energy usage. My original plan was to try to have everything in place so that I could install a tankless unit before my water heater died, but I didn't make it. Next time--in 10-12 years, I guess.

Since this was an "emergency" install, I went with a unit that was a drop-in replacement--no major plumbing reworks, particularly with the flue. I did upgrade the cold and hot supply lines to flexible with ball valves. Total install time was 2.5 hours, with about half of that waiting for the old unit to drain. If it weren't on a stand, I could have muscled it out sooner.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

I use a wall-mount ventless 30K BTU propane heater in my uninsulated shop (direct radiant, not water). I've been doing that for about 10 years now. Works good when augmented with a rug heater on the floor and small fan to push the heat down. I don't think there is ever an issue with sawdust combustion. However, when not in use during warm months, the heater can get enough dust to clog the jet orifice. I've had to remove and clean mine several times. I do keep mine covered with plastic during the warm season. Now if you spray combustibles, I would turn the heater off until it all clears out.