Thread: Calling all owners of Lie-Nielsen Scraping Planes; 212 112 85

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    Patrick; that shaving on the left looks more like a smoothing plane shaving than a scraper plane shaving.
    That was sort of the point.

If you know what you're doing you can get a scraper plane to take a shaving that is hard to distinguish from a plane shaving. That shouldn't be a surprise, because the cutting mechanics are fairly similar (albeit with angles on the high end of the range) if the hook is set properly. Note also how vertical my iron is - that reduces cutting angle at the expense of reduced clearance. The back of the hook has to be well-formed for that to work though.

For the shavings in that picture I turned the hook on my 112's iron with the burnisher held 15 deg below horizontal (30 deg above the 45 deg face of the iron). Assuming I did it precisely, the tip would have ~15 deg of clearance behind the cut and a cutting angle less than 15 + 45 = 60 deg with the iron held vertical (which is basically what I did). Those parameters are very much compatible with "plane-like shavings".

To get a shaving like that from your 81 you'd have to turn a steeper burr, to keep the cutting angle in the "plane-like shaving range" despite the steeper forward lean of the iron. The 81 really isn't designed to be used the same way as a 112. As I've said several times in this thread, scrapers have a huge range of applications, with different tools, techniques, and setup requirements.

EDIT: The hook gets "squished" during turning so the cutting angle is less than the starting edge angle (45 deg in this case) plus the clearance (15 deg in this case), but I don't know how much less. If I have some spare time I may burr, section, and image a piece of 1095 this weekend to find out.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 01-19-2018 at 10:04 PM.