Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gas Pumping Law Changes in Oregon

Blog Entries

Gas Pumping Law Changes in Oregon

In Oregon it has been unlawful for a driver to pump their own gasoline. One attendant told me this lowered the insurance cost which also made the prices lower than in California or Washington. The law changed on the first of the year to allow people in counties with a population of less than 40,000 to pump their own gasoline.

The internet is having a blast:

It's Official!.jpg

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0b0e5a7abb081

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Oh good grief. Next thing you known they'll be preparing their own food and walking their own dogs. What is this world coming to?

JKJ

It needs to be taken seriously. Years ago a person smoking while fueling would have the pump turned off immediately by station employee. That never happens now. Yeah, they've added fume recovery stuff. Maintenance is lousy. Oregon is pretty rural. I don't see any humor.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    In Oregon it has been unlawful for a driver to pump their own gasoline.
    Many stations in other states provide equipment for drivers to wash their own windshields. Is that also the custom in Oregon? - or do Oregon attendants wash windshields and check oil like atendants in the rest of the US did in the Old Days?

Blog Entries
    My 92 YO MIL knew how to pump her own gas. It isn't rocket science, unless you fill your plastic containers in your truck, then the static charge could let it go off like a rocket...

On my RV trip three years ago, I was real uncomfortable letting someone pump my gas in OR. Plus, do I tip him??
    NOW you tell me...

Some of the idiotic posts here and there about the shock at having to pump there own gas is just dumbfounding. Now I do remember seeing attendant less gas stations down south years ago. Just a couple pumps under a spot light out in the middle of no where. Not allowed in several other states, He in PA, I don't know of any station that has a pump jockey, but they all have foreigners sitting in the booth to collect the funds from the primitives who deal in cash. One lady thought working as a nurse in prison was less dangerous than pumping her own gas. Gosh, I wonder how she manages not to spray herself with an aerosol can of bug killer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    It needs to be taken seriously. Years ago a person smoking while fueling would have the pump turned off immediately by station employee. That never happens now. Yeah, they've added fume recovery stuff. Maintenance is lousy. Oregon is pretty rural. I don't see any humor.
    The funny part is that people are worried about safety when the rest of the nation has been pumping their own gas for least 40 years with no ill effects. To me, a law forcing people to have someone else pump their gas is about the same as a law forcing people to have someone else wash their clothes.

Jim

I'm kind of not sure if this is a goof, or not.
    I haven't seen an attended gas station, other than the 'Jersey T-Pike, in decades. I didn't know they were even still around, in any state. We barely have just gas/service stations in Connecticut. Most of them are attached to convenience stores, or pseudo smoke/head shops.
    Next thing you'll see is the little stickers on all of the pumps, lawfully holding you responsible for spillage, and mandating that you must remain in attendance.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    Many stations in other states provide equipment for drivers to wash their own windshields. Is that also the custom in Oregon? - or do Oregon attendants wash windshields and check oil like atendants in the rest of the US did in the Old Days?
    Last time I was through there, most big stations (interstate stops, etc.) had two options: Full serve, which did all that, and Mini-serve, which was pump the gas (to meet the law.) Don't know if that is still true or if it was ever that way out in the small counties affected by this.

I've driven all over the country and haven't seen significant problems at or with self service gas stations. There can and will always be idiots. But I can't recall hearing about a self serve gas station exploding. If it has happened, it must be mighty rare. Now spillage - yes, that can and does happen. But even pump attendants can occasionally have that happen - the attendant put down some absorbing stuff like cat litter, washed the side of my car real quick, and I was back on my way. In a self serve, you tell the attendant and they clean the mess or tell you how. (Seen that too.)

I really don't believe this will be a problem for Oregon, after folks get used to it. Honest guys.

Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 01-04-2018 at 7:25 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    In New Jersey you can't pump your own gas at any station. They will yell at you if you even touch the nozzle.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

If true, this means NJ is the last state to not allow “civilians” to pump their own gas.

Rural stores are often farther from fire stations. And a guy pulling up in a van packed with gasoline cans that all need to be filled might make someone call the police and say something. I bet that there is rule against giving flying lessons to guys who don't want landing lessons. Once that would have seemed silly. Rule changes to selling gasoline need better news coverage that comedy ridicule.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Trent View Post
    If true, this means NJ is the last state to not allow “civilians” to pump their own gas.
    Is that a post 911 rule? I remember filling my own tank there years ago....only place the car ever took a gallon OVER the tank capacity

I have a difficult time understanding why you can not pump your own gas.

I would have loved to have someone pump my gas the other morning. It was -13 F and a stiff wind.