Thread: First fish and turtles attempt

First fish and turtles attempt

This is my first attempt at carving a fish and turtles. It's for a local river exhibit. Our local river was a dumping grounds for a few centuries, with woolen mills, a tannery, and electronics mfg, not to mention sewers. Over the years those industries closed, but PCBs remain, so fish still aren't safe to eat, but the river has come back with canoeing, catch and release fishing and hopes of eliminating some flood control chutes and using natural methods to control high water. I started off with the idea of carving a fish and it grew into a project with facades of the industries, and a representation of ghost fish. 20180104_011919-800x600.jpg20180104_011947-800x600.jpgI left a fin off the fish as a symbol that we aren't quite there yet, but the river is getting better.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think the fish and turtles look really great Tony.
    Hard to believe it was your first time carving them.
    I have spent countless hours along various rivers in my life. Time well spent.

Thank You Michael. Back when I was in trade school, our machine shop teacher was an avid fisherman and fly tyer. He always talked about fly fishing on the Battenkill River.

Very nicely done Sir!