Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Router bit bearing off center

Router bit bearing off center

Just bought my first router and bit set. Looking over the bits, the Cove bit bearing looks to be not perpendicular and off center to the bit. Is there a way to adjust this? Or should I return the whole set and hope for the best.

Newb,
    Jon

Is this bit from one of those "bargain" sets--- 35 bits for $50 or something? Could be a case of "you get what you pay for." (a quality cove bit runs about $30)

You might try pulling the bearing--it might have the wrong i.d. -- or, better, send the whole lot back and get quality bits, one-at-a-time as you need them.

Return for refund or replacement with a good one. Any flaw in a cutter that is spinning at 20000+ rpm is cause for rejection. Good work to pick the fault. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

Blog Entries
    Since it is new, I agree that a return is in order. That looks like an MLCS bit. their bits are good for trying a new profile or for getting you through a project. Not something I would use long term. Check the other bits in the set. If they are OK, call MLCS and tell them about the one bit. My experience with them is that they will happily replace the item but, I have never bought a set so, check it out. The screw looks straight so it could just be the bearing. If you don't mind the fuss, take a like-sized bearing from another bit and try it on this one. Maybe MLCS only needs to send the bearing. Either way, lesson learned on the true cost of "bargian bits". They have their place but, long term use is not one of them.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

You guys are correct. It is an MLCS bit from a set of 15 for $50. I got a $50 gift card from my job and I just needed a set to get me started. I figured I'd use the opportunity to get a small "starter" set to see which ones get used, then replace with better quality as needed. I'll give them a call today and see what they can do.

I know quite a bit about the methods that might have been used to make this bit.
    - It's unlikely the bearing is made that poorly in that way.
    - It's unlikely that the shaft where the bearing mounts is ground at that much of an angle. If the bearing would go on the shaft at that angle, it is more likely the shaft diameter is wrong or the shaft is broken.
    - It IS likely that the hole for the cap screw is drilled or threaded poorly and the cap screw is at an angle.
    - It is likely that the bit was assembled by a person who is so uneducated that they don't even know the purpose of a router bit. They could have cross threaded the cap screw, used a bent cap screw, etc.

This is a 30 cent router bit after all. They make more profit selling piles of this quality bit than a high end manufacturer makes selling good bits.

I see you confirmed MLCS while I was posting. Calling them and having them replace it or the set sounds like a plan. Sounds like you are off to a great start since you found this before trying to use it.
    Last edited by Greg R Bradley; 01-04-2018 at 8:43 AM. Reason: added last paragraph

Get MCLS to replace that obviously defective cutter.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If you like we will send you a really good router bit free.

Tom Walz
    Carbide Processors
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.
    I fries my bacon in a wooden pan.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Walz View Post

Tom Walz
    Carbide Processors
    Is that offer open to everyone reading this, or just the OP? (Just kidding)

Jonathan-- I would jump on Tom's offer. His company handles top quality router bits.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Walz View Post

Tom Walz
    Carbide Processors
    Me to please.

I use a CNC router and go through a lot of bits. I am always in search of a good value. I bought a group of 5 1/4" shaft, 1/4" diameter 90 degree solid carbide bits from MLCS. This is about the easiest bit to manufacture there is. I found none of these bits even usable. The 2 best ones were quite dull. One of them had an obvious big burr on it that any QC person would have instantly caught. One was ground off center. Based on this experience, I would never buy from them again. They just don't have any quality control.

My favorite brand is Whitside. I believe that is one brand Carbide Processors sells.

I have in the past only bought individual bits from MLCS (no more than maybe 20), but can say I have been satisfied with what I received.

I am am only saying this because the tone of this thread NOW seems slightly on the “bash MLCS” side, and this may be unfair.

I am only a customer and other than being in the same state, have no connection to them. I will buy again though, but probably not cheap sets of bits 😀

Bill
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

I have used many of MLCS's bits. I have one 1/2" straight bit, and pattern trim bit that were used with a trammel to cut ribs for a curves front desk at local "Y." Cut a groove about 1/4" deep with straight bit, and finish cut with jig saw. Then clean up cut with flush trim bit. Made a couple hundred feet of ribs, using 3/4 ply, which kills bits quickly. These bits are still very usable. Toughest bit I have ever used is a $5 (remember them) bit from Woodcraft. 1/4" straight bit in router trammel. Cut half the head off a drywall screw, and bit showed no signs of damage. That was 5+ years ago, and bit is still in router on trammel

Once you use a Whiteside or other quality bit you will be hard pressed to use a cheapie. Unless you love sanding burn marks and tearout out of profiles !

I have had good experiences with MLCS router bits, especially their Katana series.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....