Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hand cut joinery beginner

Looks good to me....you seemed to have gotten the hang of it

Blog Entries
    It does look good.

I took advantage of the scrap I used to make the grain continuous from piece to piece - not sure if that is a thing when dovetails are involved (I've seen it on mitered corners) but it was easy enough to implement as part of the practice.
    Continuous grain can add appeal to a piece. It is a good practice to make in to a habit.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Dovetails look good to me!
    Your other projects are nice and very practical.
    Welcome to the hobby!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Really well done dovetails, Brian! And pine isn’t always the easiest to work with. The wrap around grain is something I always try to do with mitered corners, but using it for dovetails is a great touch.

I’ve been playing with shellac for quite some time now. Search SMC and you’ll find a number of posts with great tips. A number of members here are very good at applying shellac. Practicing joinery and/or finishing gives a certain usefullness to all the scraps I just can’t seem to ever toss