Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3 phase setup for sanding bowls.

Well, this is getting interesting... I would need about an 8 foot flex shaft with reversing capabilities, a 1 hp motor with reverse, a motor mount, a chuck for the mandrills, and some sort of handle mechanism so I could hold the discs... Then mount it on an articulated arm with 3 axis movability/rotation capabilities...... The picture is getting clearer...

robo hippy

Hi Reed

I haven't been out in the shop much because of...
    IMG_1743.jpg

At -20C and snowing sideways, I'm huddled on the couch, by the fireplace with a book, mulled wine, my wife and baby.

Since this discussion has gone on for a while, I ran out and snapped some pics.

This is my MultiFlex, made in England, likely 50 years ago. Basically an oversized Foredom. its a good all-in-one solution and offers various different rpms.

IMG_1738.JPG

IMG_1736.JPGIMG_1735.JPG

The Flexshaft is only about 3', so its mounted on a board, that I can hang on the wall and move as needed.

IMG_1737.jpg
    The business end is a standard 1/4" compression fitting that will accept a lot of different attachments, including hex.

I looked for a while and found a few other flex shafts. Much more heavy duty and longer. Very flexible. About 3/4" OD, 6' long, weighs about 5 lbs.
    You can see the coupling on the right. The other is a standard 1/4" thread that fits Home Depot style discs.
    IMG_1739.jpg
    As you likely guessed, these run only in one direction. Inside the sheath the shaft is twisted, to transmit torque. Run it backwards and the whole thing ties itself in knots. Put too much torque backwards and the shaft expands inside and stalls.

This is my faourite. Also 6' long, more flexible, lighter. Its small chuck on the user end, with the adjustable handles.
    Coupling on the other.
    IMG_1741.jpg

These later two get attached to a 3 phase buffer I have, and the VFD for speed control.
    If I want a 90d bend, then I use the Milwaukee attachment mentioned previously.

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    Well, this is getting interesting... I would need about an 8 foot flex shaft with reversing capabilities, a 1 hp motor with reverse, a motor mount, a chuck for the mandrills, and some sort of handle mechanism so I could hold the discs... Then mount it on an articulated arm with 3 axis movability/rotation capabilities...... The picture is getting clearer

robo hippy

Reed, might as well throw in a trigger control or like the dentist used to have with foot paddles. I agree that some type of 3 dimensional apparatus would be an asset. I used this system and it worked best with just a handle on the end of the shaft. It was quite manageable inside open bowls. I tried a Dewalt right angle drill attachment and the cable can get in the way. The closer you hand is to the mandrel the easier it was to control the rotation. I really preferred a quick connect to a geared chuck. Too many sharp edges and it extended the sanding disk farther from my hand. I have a friend with a close quarter Milwaukee drill/driver which is longer than the regular geared chuck drill, and found it harder to control. I would think connecting two shorter cables might work for an 8 footer.
    Member Illiana Woodturners