Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rabbet plane technique question

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    That plane, like the 45 is not very user friendly.

[snip]
    Depends on the user.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    [snip]
    For both rabbets and dadoes you can saw the walls along scribed lines, chisel out waste and finish bottom with router plane.

Surprisingly fast and accurate.
    In my experience, both ease and sometimes accuracy vary in direct proportion to the length of the rebate being cut. When cutting a rebate for a back on a large piece, I've had a few tense moments. I'll go with a proper rebate plane for anything over about 2 feet, even if I have to first prepare the blade from a chip or other damage. (I have the advantage of several rebate and combination planes to choose among and I like them all, so I suppose you might discount my thoughts as biased. Again, it depends on the user.)
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

Blog Entries
    I'll go with a proper rebate plane for anything over about 2 feet, even if I have to first prepare the blade from a chip or other damage. (I have the advantage of several rebate and combination planes to choose among and I like them all, so I suppose you might discount my thoughts as biased. Again, it depends on the user.)
    My Record #778 used to give me fits. Back then it was easier, for me, to cut rabbets with a Stanley #45. After spending some time with the Record plane my rabbet cutting improved. Now just about any rabbet plane in my arsenal can be used to get the job done. For repeatability learning the ins and outs of a plane made specifically for the job has improved my results. Like Jim, my arsenal contains a variety of rabbet planes.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Used the Wards 78 today..
    IMG_2853 (640x480).jpg
    At least for cross grain stuff..
    IMG_2852 (640x480).jpg
    But, instead of messing with the spur...for going with the grain..
    IMG_2857 (640x480).jpg
    Set this up, without the spurs....
    IMG_2856 (640x480).jpg
    Had a raised panel door to do..
    IMG_2863 (640x480).jpg
    Was a bit busy today...

Blog Entries
    Completely agree with Jim K. That has been my exact experience with the Record 778. There was a learning curve as to "feel" but once done, it works very well. It's rare that any final squaring with a shoulder is necessary. While I have a Record 50, it sits in the cabinet with a resident beading blade.