Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is Avast?

Blog Entries

What is Avast?

I'm getting a pop up message to go to Avast to eliminate some files.

What in blazes is Avast and how do I keep the message from popping up?

Thanks

Free Anti-virus software, been using it for years.

Ed

Avast is very good antivirus, free and paid versions. Free works just as well as paid for basic antivirus unless you have business computers. They have put in other features to attract paid installations, such as the pop-up offering to clean bad files.

The pop-up can be turned off if you open the Avast program "Settings," select "Components," scroll down to "Performance," then the drop-down arrow for "Clenaup" and click on "Uninstall Component." (They like it popping up in your face, so they don't make getting rid of it the first thing you see. But at least it is there.)

I have never used their Cleanup program, but you may wish to think about using it. It will get rid of a lot of accumulated junk files that clutter your drive and slow your computer and will do no harm. I use a cleaning program I've had for years, since it started with the name "Crap Cleaner" back in the wild and wooly dawn of personal computing. It's now called CCleaner. https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download It's my choice and it's free, but the Avast Cleanup may be more convenient for you as it provides a single source for such maintenance/security software, but its not free.
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

I though avast meant to stop on the high seas.
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Helm View Post
    I though avast meant to stop on the high seas.
    What??????

Blog Entries
    Question about another anti virus app so I'll start new thread.

Sounds like you have some sort of infestation. Have you installed any software recently?

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    Sounds like you have some sort of infestation. Have you installed any software recently?
    You seem to have missed the above posts about Avast. It almost certainly came as an automatic update to Avast antivirus software in the usual fashion. [If your antivirus software isn't set to update both program and database automatically, you have to be exceptionally careful to do manual updates. Most antivirus programs are updated several times a year; antivirus databases (definitions of the bad stuff to be blocked) are often updated several times a week.]
    Jim Waldron

Quote Originally Posted by James Waldron View Post
    You seem to have missed the above posts about Avast. It almost certainly came as an automatic update to Avast antivirus software in the usual fashion. [If your antivirus software isn't set to update both program and database automatically, you have to be exceptionally careful to do manual updates. Most antivirus programs are updated several times a year; antivirus databases (definitions of the bad stuff to be blocked) are often updated several times a week.]
    I made a wild assumption that if he didn't know what avast was, he wouldn't be getting updates to it. At least not unless it was an infestation.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    What??????
    https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/avast

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post

Thanks John
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Talk like a pirate

Quote Originally Posted by David Helm View Post
    Thanks John
    I remember it from old sailing and pirate movies: "Avast, matey, avast!" along with "Ahoy, matey", "Aye", and of course, "Arrrr!"
    Better brush up before International Talk Like a Pirate Day on Sept 19th.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    I made a wild assumption that if he didn't know what avast was, he wouldn't be getting updates to it. At least not unless it was an infestation.
    I think you miss a large component of computer users who pay others to set up their computers and live with whatever has been installed, such as antivirus software like Avast, set to automatically update and scan in the background in the dark of night. You might be surprised to learn how many people don't have any clue about these things. Assumptions such as the one you made could lead to the OP spending a lot of money chasing a malware issue he doesn't have. Some computer techs call it a "Granny Install." Others are more charitable (or at least more discreet).

And no talking like a pirate is permitted on my boat. There are far too many real problems with piracy around the world, including here on occasion, to make that a very funny topic.
    Last edited by James Waldron; 01-05-2018 at 12:22 PM.
    Jim Waldron

As a rule of thumb., if I do not know where the pop-up came from, I try to kill it with prejudice and do not install from or follow links from the pop-ups.

I try to go to the original web site then download and install from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    As a rule of thumb., if I do not know where the pop-up came from, I try to kill it with prejudice and do not install from or follow links from the pop-ups.

I try to go to the original web site then download and install from there.

Very wise. It does mean, however, you are not qualified for a "Granny Install." (See post above.)
    Jim Waldron