Thread: Which plane to sell- Lie Nielsen

Which plane to sell- Lie Nielsen

I recently purchased 4 Lie Nielsen hand planes at a reasonable price and the plan was to sell 3 of them to finance 1 of them.
    I already sold the No 73 Large Shoulder plane.
    What I have left is the No. 62 low angle jack, the no. 610 low angle jack rebate and the no. 164 low angle smoother.

My first thought was to keep the no. 62 and sell the rest, but now im wondering if the no. 610 kan handle the job of a no. 62 also. If so, I will have more joy from the no. 610.
    What do you think ?
    Best regards

Lasse Hilbrandt

Blog Entries
    My #62 is my shooting plane. A #610 wouldn't do well as a shooting plane. In my case if a shooting plane was acquired the #62 might be sold off.

The #610 may be a useful tool for other times.

Any way you can keep both and sell the #164?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I have the 62 and the 610, and wouldn't be without either. I use them both, all the time.

I have no use for the low angle smoother, as my LN 4 1/2, along with several wooden smoother's I made myself, are all I need.

Tough choice. The 610 is a specialty plane. The 62 can do almost everything, with an extra blade or 2.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Lasse Hilbrandt View Post
    My first thought was to keep the no. 62 and sell the rest, but now im wondering if the no. 610 kan handle the job of a no. 62 also. If so, I will have more joy from the no. 610.
    What do you think ?
    I don't have the L-N planes, but I do have their LV counterparts (the Bevel-Up Jack and Bevel-Up Jack Rabbet respectively).

I don't think that the rabbet plane's functionality is a true superset of the 62's. As somebody else pointed out you can't really shoot with a rabbet plane unless you make an auxiliary cheek as Derek did for his Jack Rabbet a while back. Also, the extra sole width and specifically the bit of sole on either side of the mouth have a really significant impact on cutting behavior. Finally, Jack Rabbets aren't as rigid as their Jack counterparts, and that can become a noticeable issue when taking very thin shavings.

Thanks for the advice.

I think I will try to convince SWMBO to only sell the smoother
    Best regards

Lasse Hilbrandt

Blog Entries
    I don't sell hand planes, I collect them.

I have old rust buckets that have been de-rusted with new irons and breakers in them.
    I have three bedrock planes with Hock irons and breakers in them.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 01-04-2018 at 10:48 AM.

Man, I would've kept the large shoulder and the 62 and sold the jackrabbit and the small smoother.