Thread: Turncrafter Commander 10 in. Variable Speed Midi Lathe ?

Turncrafter Commander 10 in. Variable Speed Midi Lathe ?

I'm looking for a lightweight, inexpensive mini or midi to take on the road while RVing this spring. I'll likely turn small stuff just to keep generating sawdust and ward off cobwebs while we're holed up for a few days. This seems like it might be the best item on a cost per feature basis. Anyone have experience with this one? I looked on my local Craigslist and EBay but found nothing of interest. This can be purchased from Penn State and a lot of the accessories I have will fit the 1x8 headstock and the #2 MT. Thoughts?

Thanx,

Jim
    Growing older is mandatory.
    Growing up is entirely optional.

Remember; it's never too late to have a happy childhood.

I have no experience with the Turncrafter but would suggest you also consider the Nova Comet II though it is a higher price. It has the variable speed and reverse and 12" capacity but similar weight. I have had one for over 5 years and enjoy using it and taking it out of the shop. You can search and find some cheap modifications I made to make it a more rugged machine for unbalanced material.

Thanks for the reply. I have pretty much settled on the Nova machine. It's only $100 more than the PSI unit but it has a little higher capacity and is slightly lighter. I'll search your posts to check out your mods. I plan on adding a set of pen blank drilling jaws and a 3 wheel buffing setup. Not sure but thinking about creating a sanding disc arrangement for squaring up pen blanks. Now I'm just piling stuff in the shop to see what I'll absolutely have to bring and what I'll live without. I think this RVing hobby stuff would be easier if my hobby was knitting . . . .

Thanx,

Jim
    Growing older is mandatory.
    Growing up is entirely optional.

Remember; it's never too late to have a happy childhood.

I like using an end mill to square up blank ends after tube glued. I do not have the need to square up the end of blank to drill but then I am only using solid natural wood and not needing to hit dead center. Your drilling method should accept the end mill.