Thread: Swapping out a 6-15 receptacle with a 6-20

Swapping out a 6-15 receptacle with a 6-20

Fairly certain I know that I can do the following, but I’d thought I would check with the experts to be safe!

My current electrical setup for the circuit that powers my Sawstop 3hp is as follows: The factory SS plug is a 6-15 using a 6-15 receptacle (two horizonal “hot” slots). At the box there are two 20-amp individual half breakers joined with a metal union. (see attached picture)

Question 1: Is this code to have a 6-15 receptacle with a 20-amp breaker?

What I would like to do is simply replace the 6-15 receptacle with a 6-20 T-slot. This would then make it so I can unplug the saw when necessary and plug is a portable electric heater that of course has a 6-20 plug on it.

Question 2: Any issues in swapping out the 6-15 receptacle with a 6-20 T-slot since I have a 20-amp breaker?

Thanks all and Happy new year! Michael

20amp.jpg
    Last edited by Michael Sapper; 01-02-2018 at 10:34 AM.

A1: I didn't read up on the code, but assuming the wire is sized for 20A, the 20A CB properly protects the wire. The existing 6-15 plug should restrict use to only appliances < 15A. All is good.

A2: I assume 'T-slot' equates to 'R', as in NEMA 6-20R. So again, if wire size supports 20A, swapping to NEMA 6-20R will work fine.

A 15 amp outlet should be on a 15 amp, or smaller, breaker. If the existing wire is #12 or larger you can upgrade to a 20 amp breaker as long as the wire run is not too long. If this is a 240 circuit you will need two breakers of the same amperage and the handles tied together so if one turns off they both turn off.
    Bill
    That said all my inside 240 outlets are 30 amps but I use L-20 outlets because I got a good closeout deal on them when I was wiring the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    A 15 amp outlet should be on a 15 amp, or smaller, breaker. ....
    Not to be disagreeable, but this time I did read some and looked at my kitchen. If a single receptacle is used on a given circuit, then the receptacle should be rated the same as the CB (and of course the wire gauge should match). Please note a duplex receptacle is considered 2 receptacles.

If I am reading right source, and if there are multiple receptacles on a circuit, then 15A receptacles can be used with 20A CBs (again, with suitable wire size). A typical, NEC-code, USA kitchen uses 20A CBs (and suitable wire size) to feed multiple 5-15 (15A) receptacles.

Thanks all, change up and running without issues. Michael