Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

1 Jan 2018

Good Evening Everyone,
    I'm glad I didn't type "2017" in the date line above.

I finally finished one of the 2 chairs that I've been working on. While the color match is "close"....it's not exact. I'm good with that as I'm finding many signs that these chairs have been "uh...repaired" a time or 2 before now. I have one more chair to fix/repair and then I should be done with chairs for a while. I had to turn all 3 pieces for the chair stretchers and parts. They aren't a perfect match but they are "close".

repaired_chair_number1_small.jpg

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this New Years Weekend?

Best of weeks to you all!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Not so much woodworking, but I realized on Friday that one of my little drawered organizers had melted on me and was pretty much useless. It had been sitting on the windowsill of my shop for about a year or so now and the afternoon sun hits that window directly. The entire back melted and collapsed so it was time for a different solution for nuts and bolts and screws. So I went and grabbed a couple of 24-count closable trays and spent a couple of hours sorting most of my fasteners into semblance of order. I think I need 2-3 more of them to get through all of the stuff, then I need to figure out what to do with them since sitting on the windowsill is just not an option, apparently.

I have no idea why one organizer melted and another one, that was sitting right under it, hasn't been affected, nor have any of the empty plastic bins I've had piled up there had any damage done. It's a mystery, I guess.

Happy New Year to everyone! 'Wishing you all the happiest and healthiest 2018!

My weekend was primarily focused on finishing up the minor renovation work in our kitchen that originated when copper pipes in the ceiling decided to pin-hole and require ripping out what was above where the refrigerator had been living for decades. While the fix was required, it setup an opportunity to improve the space near our kitchen door by moving the refrigerator to the other side of the room and moving the cabinet from that space to where the 'fridge used to live. Most of the work this weekend was completing paint, installing the pot rack, finishing up a small section of wainscot near the 'fridge, making stepped racks for our herb and spice collection, installing new overhead LED lighting in the center and re-installing the trim rings in the ceiling lighting cans. Remaining work is a top for the cabinet (temp for now; soapstone when it get to it) and to do some "faux brick" mortar work on a small section of the floor that was originally under the refrigerator so it somewhat looks like the rest of the brick floor. Here's the new cabinet area as well as the new fridge location:

IMG_2085.jpg IMG_2034.jpg

Moving the refrigerator did setup a small discomfort with one cabinet door on the "fabulous" fake fireplace cabinet...the solution was to make that door into a bi-fold door and that was my New Year Day project. I'll touch up the paint today and that will blend in completely.
    bifold-cabinet.jpg
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Happy New Year all. I finished a chair repair for my grand daughter. She just had twins and uses the rocker for nursing the babies. The arm on the right in the picture was missing and I replaced it.
    IMG957097.jpg

Blog Entries
    Happy New Year all! Our company closes between Christmas and New Years, so I had a lot of time to spend. I worked on my office renovation and rebuilt a large frame for a piece of art. The original frame wasn’t strong enough to support the glass and art and the miters had separated threatening to drop the glass out. I mad the frame thicker and out of hard maple with pinned miters. It should hold up for another 20 years.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

I got to spend a bit of time out in the shop this weekend. Can't wait to see the heat bill... The highs ranged between -5F and +5F.

I worked on my table saw cabinet. Made the doors, and the drawer. Got familiarized with dovetails again. By the time I had cut a practice corner and cut the back corners, I didn't do too bad on the front half-blinds.

We also made it to 12:00 this year for New Year's. First time in about 10 years.

Jay, I hear you on the heat bill thing. I've decided I gotta start giving Professor Dr. SWMBO some money each month to account for the higher electric bill since I'm pretty much in the shop now daily since retiring from full time work and I don't let it go below 40º overnight. The electric/gas bill is on her side of our shared budget...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...