Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Let's see projects completed in 2017

Those sandpipers are fantastic Christopher, they really have that shorebird feel. Many small projects last year, tools mostly. This Jack and smoothing kanna among them:

DSCN1588.jpg

IMG_1460.jpg

But most important was moving, getting a shop space of my own and finally building a bench

IMG_1428.jpg

I wish you all a productive year with interesting builds!

There's a lot of nice work here. Mine pales in comparison, but then I'm not in it for the show quite yet

I seem to remember completing more projects this year (mostly jigs and shop gear), but the dates on the pics in my photo albums will keep me honest.

Here are 2017's bigger completions (click headings to view additional album pics):

Cherry and fir bookcase

Cat tree (a birch ply structure with steam bent ash glued around the rim of each platform)

A Beer Caddy as a Christmas gift to my future SIL:

BeerCaddy.jpg

...and a mobile bench for my benchtop router table:
    RouterCart.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Ontko; 01-03-2018 at 11:15 AM.

That heron is a masterpiece.

Oskar, thanks, they came out pretty good. Those planes look great and I hope you find your new bench to be as big of a game changer as I did.

Mike, you clearly had a productive year. Your bookshelf is beautiful and is similar to one I recall in FWW.

Yonak, thank you for the kind words. Happily, the box arrived to my mum today and she was right pleased with it, so mission accomplished!

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Here are a few of mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ontko View Post
    There's a lot of nice work here. Mine pales in comparison, but then I'm not in it for the show quite yet

I seem to remember completing more projects this year (mostly jigs and shop gear), but the dates on the pics in my photo albums will keep me honest.

Here are 2017's bigger completions (click headings to view additional album pics):

Cherry and fir bookcase

Cat tree (a birch ply structure with steam bent ash glued around the rim of each platform)

A Beer Caddy as a Christmas gift to my future SIL:

BeerCaddy.jpg

...and a mobile bench for my benchtop router table:
    RouterCart.jpg

I may need to use your cat tree for inspiration.
    My fiance is bent on getting a cat tower and I detest the store bought ones.

I quite like your bookcase also. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    ... Mike, you clearly had a productive year. Your bookshelf is beautiful and is similar to one I recall in FWW. ...
    Best,
    Chris
    Thank's, Chris! That cherry and fir bookcase project in FWW (#161) is one and the same -- I bought the plans and referenced the article for details on the construction.

Here are a few....
    Guitar was a makeover for my Guitar teacher.. Veneered Macassar Ebony and black lacquer
    Cabinets were for a friend .... they were two sets of these for his Teardrop camper
    Last box was for my Grandson to store "special things"

[ATTACH=CONFIG]375515 Cabinets were maple for a friend of mine who wanted them for his Tear Drop camper. I made the box using Kreg pocketholes. Installed full extension, soft close drawer glides to give full access to what is a "Small Space"
    [/ATTACH]20170225_120249.jpg20170225_120331.jpg20170325_193034.jpg20170401_111519.jpg20170711_162323.jpg20170808_171842.jpg
    Last edited by Jim Tobias; 01-05-2018 at 4:33 PM. Reason: more info

2017 - more

Few more ... lots of boxes!
    Last edited by Jim Tobias; 01-05-2018 at 4:28 PM.

2017 - last one

There were for 3 of my oldest Granddaughters. Small (4/6) keepsake boxes.

Jim, would you care to say something about your boxes ?

Wow, some amazing work from you all. For me 2017 was mostly the year of the door:

These three are Sapele and dyed to match the what I think is Philippine mahogany woodwork.

Then I did this house door in early Summer. Again, Sapele:

I squeezed in some time to make a table for my deck. It's now begging for chairs to go with it. Yep, Sapele again. I love that stuff.

And then another door project that I got installed at the end of November just before it turned cold. This one is white oak.

2017 was a good year for doors it seems.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    Jim, would you care to say something about your boxes ?
    Indeed! Though they seem to speak out a lot on their own

Yes Yonak....sorry, I had to run an errand. It took me so long to gather, resize pictures that I had to leave before leaving any detail. Now it is difficult to go back to original post.
    I'll try to give a synopsis. Several of the boxes have patinated copper veneer panels. I purchased the copper veneer from Joe Woodworker. It was already patinated(chemical process.. different chemicals cause different reactions(colors/patterns) in the copper. I really like the look of this....it (IMHO) goes so well with so many different woods.
    The other top panels are: inlay of crushed green malachite in a pattern that I transferred onto the wood and carefully carved out with Foredom.
    Did string inlay of ebony and holly in a Roble veneered top panel using Lee Valley string inlay cutting tool. Design was my own random idea.
    The guitar makeover....my guitar teacher(I began lessons 5 years ago at age 62 when I retired) had this Neil Schon (guitarist from Journey) guitar that he wanted refinished. he said he was not concerned about any historic value so away we went. he chose the Macassar Ebony veneer. I did a bookmatch on front and back and trimmed out with Black Lacquer. Then we used Rustoleum Hammered finish paint for the faceplate and dials, etc. I thought it turned out well....he loves it, so I'm happy.
    The tissue box is from Wormy Chestnut. I had a piece that I kept looking at that had the knot in it..... I finally decided to make a tissue box using the knothole as the dispensing hole. Had to do a lot of smoothing so the tissues would catch.
    The last couple of boxes on 2nd page(I think) were: 1 - Elm Burl with a turned Elm Burl lift/knob. 2 - Spalted sycamore top with an Oak acorn hull from my yard filled with coarsely crushed Tiger's Eye stone. I soaked/hardened the acorn hull with Polychryl and also filled the bottom inside with epoxy to firm it up.

Jim,I like them all, my favorite is the one with the concave sides. I've always preferred small boxes that look fragile. I notice that my eye always perceives a closed box to be "too thick" if they are smooth all over on when closed ...even if they actually are thin.