Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Let's see projects completed in 2017

Ok, I'll play. This jewelry chest is African Mahogany. The Gilpinoid legs were the biggest challenge (aside from the AM tending to potato chip when resawn). Technically it was completed in 2017, although it was a Christmas Present for 2016 (oh well, another IOU in a long history of IOUs!)

DSC_0007b.jpg

Doesnt compete with with the projects posted before mine but I made this buffet for my wife for Christmas using a set of old interior solid wood doors that I picked up a while back and an oak butcher block top. The shelves and back are birch ply and the face trim is pine. Finished in a craft style with multiple colors of chalk paint and Polycrylic top coat. Again, nothing compared to the many great projects above but she likes it.

p2701197488-4.jpgp2701197490-4.jpg

Thanks Mel, I agree.....I like curves and different shapes in boxes. I also like to go outside of the Golden Ratio rule on occasion just for fun.

Jim

Very nice Paul. I like the looks of the box joints showing. Your comment about the African Mahogany just reminds me of my own issues when dealing with it. It can be prone to fuzziness and twisting/cupping, etc.

Jim

Mark,
    Really nice looking chairs! I've not gotten around to tackling a chair build. I really want to five it a go.....your chairs may inspire me(give me the nerve) to try it.

jim

Christopher,
    That is some gorgeous wood(curly) in the 2nd picture of your table. Is that spalted slightly? What wood?
    Blown away by the bird marquetry! Wow. That is another thing on my woodworking "bucket list".

jim

Thanks for the explanation, Jim. They're all fascinating and striking .. real prize-worthy stuff. Thanks for displaying them.

Here are a few of my projects from 2017. New house so lots of new projects! 20170617_165559_1497879699345_resized.jpg22.jpgBreakfast table 02.jpgaccent wall.jpg

2D99DF72-E5CF-43E7-B6B4-E86AEE4C51A7.jpeg32ABA3A8-74E1-4D39-AA9D-A98FA53A06C8.jpegB936EF09-7C79-4CBC-8DC0-B3AFAC313391.jpeg9D732A2F-72A8-4D90-91B3-706A69CDAC0A.jpeg

We have a wide opening between the kitchen area and family room in our home. Sometimes we want our dogs to stay in one of those areas. When we moved in a few years ago we put in a wide baby gate but the dogs finally wiped it out trying to go through the narrow opening side by side too many times.

As a result I designed this built this solution. Part of the opening is closed off by a bookshelf and I made a rolling gate for the rest of the opening that rolls behind the bookcase when it’s open. So far it’s worked out great.

The piece is made mostly from stained red oak that I had left over from past projects. I also bought some read oak boards for the top of the bookcase and the shelves. To fill in where I needed some wood I used some scrap black walnut as an accent wood.

0DD9FC8B-02FC-4ADD-A667-83DF1BD5C123.jpeg

The bookcase now holds the photo albums we’ve created for out AKC Champions and a few pieces from our collection of basset figurines. Nadia, our youngest, is laying on the rug in the background.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

What a great idea for a thread. There's some really cool work submitted so far.
    Here are a couple pieces I made this year. The first is a mid-century modern tv console for a local audiophile. It has adjustable shelves within and frosted glass that allow the infrared from the remote controls to pass through.
    sapele_av_console.jpg
    The second is an office credenza made of a mix of solid and veneered walnut, featuring front and end panels of highly figured walnut burl veneer. The credenza is deceptively complex since graceful curves at the front and side dictate that drawer fronts and doors also have to be curved. The sides and front components are made of layers of bending plywood and veneer bent against two separate forms. The hand-cut dovetailed file drawers ride on full-extension, soft-closing slides, and the doors are hung with brass knife hinges. Both the drawers and doors make use of push-to-open hardware to keep the front lines clean. This piece won Second Place overall at the 2017 Texas Furniture Makers Show
    roberts_credenza.jpg
    --Mike Roberts

I've only been in the hobby since this time last year so 2017 was full of shop projects, garage upgrades, etc. I only got around to a few projects that will live outside the shop.

The first project I did was some window boxes for my cousin. I built them out of MDO and Azek. They turned out great, better than I actually thought they would.

The next project was some cornhole boards. Again, for my cousin (that's a recurring theme here ). These things were a pain. I made two sets total because I jacked up the first ones. In the end, they did turn out well.

Then my cousin wanted a really large cutting board so I made this one out of walnut, padauk and yellowheart. It's 36 x 16 and 1-3/4 thick.

I posted that to Instagram and people seemed to like so I made some more for people to give as Christmas presents.

For my shop projects, I had four of note. The first was my assembly/outfeed table with a fold down extension. By far the best shop project I've built to date.

Next was my drill press table. I dont use my drill press a ton yet but it sure make it easier to use.

One day I hope to build out one wall of my shop with a miter saw station with tons of storage. However, I wanted something in the meantime as stop gap. On a whim one Friday night I just started cutting some wood and playing around with things and ended up with this:

Last edited by Tim M Tuttle; 01-14-2018 at 10:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Dalzell View Post
    It got sent off and arrived safely in Belgium. Lots of nervousness between shipping from California and safe arrival in Brussels Belgium.
    Attachment 375264
    Oh I dig that.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Roberts View Post
    What a great idea for a thread. There's some really cool work submitted so far.
    Here are a couple pieces I made this year. The first is a mid-century modern tv console for a local audiophile. It has adjustable shelves within and frosted glass that allow the infrared from the remote controls to pass through.
    sapele_av_console.jpg
    The second is an office credenza made of a mix of solid and veneered walnut, featuring front and end panels of highly figured walnut burl veneer. The credenza is deceptively complex since graceful curves at the front and side dictate that drawer fronts and doors also have to be curved. The sides and front components are made of layers of bending plywood and veneer bent against two separate forms. The hand-cut dovetailed file drawers ride on full-extension, soft-closing slides, and the doors are hung with brass knife hinges. Both the drawers and doors make use of push-to-open hardware to keep the front lines clean. This piece won Second Place overall at the 2017 Texas Furniture Makers Show
    roberts_credenza.jpg
    Love mid century. That's good work.

Those are some really sharp looking projects, Tim. You have a good eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    Those are some really sharp looking projects, Tim. You have a good eye.
    Thanks! The techniques are coming to me pretty well but I sure am slow!