Thread: Decent 9" tablesaw blade for under 40$

Decent 9" tablesaw blade for under 40$

I have a really cool old craftsman tablesaw I am fixing up for my dad. I need a blade but the only ones I can find are super cheap (18$ no brand) or frued which looks nice but are 50-60$ I have under 60$ in the whole saw and I think that is over kill for his use. Can you reccomened a midrange combination blade, he will mainly be cutting construction lumber 2x4's etc and plywood.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 01-01-2018 at 8:20 PM. Reason: fixed wonky text

Blog Entries
    IMO, the blade is the most important part of the saw. I have a 10" Forest carbide tooth blade that is 40+ years old. I paid over $100 for it at the time.
    It has been sharpened by Forest one time. The blade is sharp and has no vices. IMO, the price you quoted is reasonable.

Blog Entries
    I think you and he would be very satisfied with a Freud LU88R009 9 Inch Thin Kerf Fine Finish Crosscut Blade or FREUD LU72M009 9" Diameter X 36T ATB General Purpose Carbide-Tipped Saw Blade. They sell for just over $50. I use Freud blades almost exclusively and have never been disappointed. They cut well and provide a really nice finish on an aligned saw.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Well, my first thought was Diablo but they don't make a 9". I searched several sites and came up with nothing brand name in 9" under $40. Maybe someone else will have better luck.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Consider using an 8 1/4" blade, which are available at many of the big box stores. No problem using a slightly smaller blade.

If your Dad is just going to cut 2x lumber then just get several cheap blades. If he ever gets to the point on needing better blades buy them then.

Thank you I will watch for a sale in the Diablo and see how much he wants to invest.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilkins View Post
    Consider using an 8 1/4" blade, which are available at many of the big box stores. No problem using a slightly smaller blade.
    That is my thought as well. I sometimes use a 7 1/4" plywood blade on a G1023 cab saw. I have to feed slower but for a few cuts that is insignificant.

Thanks for the tip on 8 1/4 you can buy a Diablo for like 20$ I think that is a good route for now.

For general use would a 24tooth or 40 tooth be better? I would really like something in the middle 32 tooth etc but haven't found any

I use my 24 tooth Diablo for a ripping blade and use my 40 tooth Forrest WW-II as a general purpose combo blade. YMMV.

Cody, when you get it fixed up you should post a couple pictures. It's always cool to see old tools come back to life.

Fred

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I bought a freud, 9", 40 tooth combination thin kerf blade for about 60.00 over 15 years ago and it has yet to be sharpened. Cuts fine on my Rockwell 9" contractors saw, with a 1 hp motor.
    I can be resharpened many times as the carbide is quite large.

We ahve a $46 Tenryu 9" With the Sawmill Creek discount of 10% that comes pretty close.

Just type in "Creekers" (with an S) at checkout.

Tom Walz
    Carbide Processors
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.
    I fries my bacon in a wooden pan.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Walz View Post
    We ahve a $46 Tenryu 9" With the Sawmill Creek discount of 10% that comes pretty close.

Just type in "Creekers" (with an S) at checkout.

Tom Walz
    Carbide Processors
    Cody,
    If you like the blade Tom is referring to, you'll be glad you did business with them. Carbide Processors is a good firm with great customer service. (Disclaimer: no connection with CPI. Just a satisfied customer.)
    Fred