Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know how to sharpen these type of hollowing tools?

Anyone know how to sharpen these type of hollowing tools?

I sure am having a problem sharpening these, i believe they are from david ellsworth, I have the straight one as shown. i bought a diamond hone and have tried to hold it flat on the bevel and sharpen from the heel up, also tried just polishing the top flat area, but neither seem to be giving me a good burr or sharp edge. Tried looking up different information on shaprpening these but not really finding much, if anyone has any info, please help, thanks.106219-img.jpg

http://www.johnjordanwoodturning.com..._and_More.html
    Look at the sharpening jig on this site $25.00.

I remove the bit's from the shaft and simply hold them flat down on the platform on my vari grind jig. Set the angle, one rotation, and done. No jig needed.
    Tony

"Soldier On"

The only problem with sharpening these on a grinder is they are glued into the shaft, so just seems to be a pain to have to heat them with a torch for removal, then sharpen, and then reglue them every time they get dull. But if i must, i guess that is the only way of doing it, they just dont seem to hold and edge very long for me.

Ron, can’t you drill and tap the shaft for a set screw? That is how my Monster system works. Should be an easy task.

Also, I sharpen my tips like Tony does.

Left click my name for homepage link.

7. Those look like the Ellsworth hollowing tools I have. I have mine mounted in really long handles, so the grinder setup is a bit tedious, so I normally just take a coarse diamond card and refresh the edge. David sells extra tips, but you are correct it is a pain to heat and take them out, especially in the middle of a project.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I touch mine up with a diamond card and reshape them free-hand on a grinder.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Stadler View Post
    I sure am having a problem sharpening these, i believe they are from david ellsworth, I have the straight one as shown. i bought a diamond hone and have tried to hold it flat on the bevel and sharpen from the heel up, also tried just polishing the top flat area, but neither seem to be giving me a good burr or sharp edge. Tried looking up different information on shaprpening these but not really finding much, if anyone has any info, please help, thanks.106219-img.jpg
    These bits are just small scrapers and can be sharpened the same way.

If they are brazed or glued fastened to the shaft you can't use the JJordan jig. You can use grinding wheel with rounded edges. I understand the CBN wheels with radiused edges were designed with these bits in mind so you can sharpen by grinding on one side of the wheel then the other without swinging the tool shaft. See point #1 in the 4 Usable Features list on this page: https://woodturnerswonders.com/colle...n-1-cbn-wheels

If the shaft is removable from the handle you can sharpen them freehand like you would a round-nosed scraper but this is difficult with a long handle. (I assume they are both rounded on the tips - I can't tell from the tiny photo.)

You can also touch up the cutting edge by honing just the flat top with a fine diamond hone.

I actually did try sharpening the bevel on the grinding wheel and managed to get a better edge , not great but way better than I had. I may also look into what John said and try and drill and tap in order to hold the bit in there. I've never really tried taking it out since I got it so not sure what a task it will actually be. Thanks again guys, happy turning 😁

Look at about the 2 minute mark of this video by John Lucas. He does not remove the bit from the shaft.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9G16ylEZHQ

I took a one day hands on with David Ellsworth when he did an all day club demo followed by hands-on session the next day. At the time he did not use CBN wheels and demonstrated sharpening these on a AO wheel. We had him try the CBN wheel and shortly thereafter the rounded edge CBNs became available. I believe he is responsible for getting the first ones made which I believe was by Dave from D-way tools with Ken Rizzo foloowing shortly after.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I have the Trent Bosch tools and they are also glued in tips. IMHO not practicle to remove for sharpening. The video Mike links to shows what I do. Thanks Mike! (At mark 2:25 on my viewer.) I use a round edge CBN wheel from Ken at Woodturners Wonders. Control is an issue as you don't want to remove too much metal. Still working at getting good results hand honing. It's easy to lose the bevel on these small tips. One thing that has helped is to rest the tool in the miter gauge slot on my bandsaw with the flat of the tip facing up. You could even clamp it in place if you want. Then you are just holding holding the hone at the correct angle instead of juggling the tool and the hone. This lets you clearly see the cutting edge of the tip. Takes just a few strokes usually.
    RD

<p>
    Interesting. Suddenly I am getting the &quot;visible code&quot; issue when typing contractions. It&#39;s odd. Only happened when I used the advanced editor option.</p>
    RD

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Dooling View Post
    <p>
    Interesting. Suddenly I am getting the "visible code" issue when typing contractions. It's odd. Only happened when I used the advanced editor option.</p>
    Check to make sure your browser is not using "https". For example, try logging in with http://www.sawmillcreek.org
    Does that work? If not, have you changed anything recently - browser, machine, etc?

Also, I discovered a while back that if I used the standard editor instead of the WISIWYG editor on SMC it fixed several frustrating problems.

JKJ