Thread: Drive through redwood tree blown down in storm

Drive through redwood tree blown down in storm

This news is one year old but I only found out recently. California last year had the most snow for decades and many tress blew over from high winds. This season very little rain or snow so far. Many ski resorts still not opened.
    Bill D

on edit:
    The big inland Sequoia Gigantia are too big and the wood shatters into splinters only good for stakes when they come down. That is why they were never logged out. I have heard they are experimenting with growing them commercially and harvesting when they will be only 100-200 years old. they should be small enough that felling them will not cause problems.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...lifornia-storm
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 01-01-2018 at 10:59 AM.

Interesting story but no pictures of the fallen tree included that show the part that people would want to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Interesting story but no pictures of the fallen tree included that show the part that people would want to see.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/n...e-thru/406619/

Thanks, that's the picture that shows the story. Poor old thing looks pretty rotten.

I know exactly how those people feel. Having lived in NH for 45 years and riding thru Franconia Notch several times each year and seeing the Old Man of The Mountain overlooking Echo lake, as he had for thousands of years, and then one morning in early May of 2003 he came crumbling down. Also brought down by the forces of nature. It was a sad day for sure, hundreds of people flocked to the sight ,myself included to stare in disbelief at the side of the mountain .It truly was like loosing a family member.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I remember as a kid driving through that giant redwood. Later years, they only allowed pedstrian traffic through, but was a neat thing to do. It was sad to hear it had fallen.