Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Festool Domino Story

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Update on my attempt to order some 8 by 40 Dominos:

I ordered the Dominoes from Bob Marino on January 4th but haven't heard anything back from him so I called him today (January 11th). He's checking on the status of my order but it appears that it has not been shipped yet. If the status is different than that, I'll update my post.

I should have gone to Woodcraft and bought some that I could put my hands on. Good thing I haven't had a project where I need 8x40 dominos.

Mike
    Mike, FYI, I had a shaky experience with Bob on a sander recently. Placed the order and got a confirmation email a couple of days later saying that the sander was backordered. I emailed Bob and told him to cancel the order, that his web site had listed it as in stock.

He called me a little later and apologized, said he was having problems with his new warehouse, which recently moved from Ohio to Kentucky (?) Basically, he uses a fulfillment company to ship the orders and keep the web site updated, and it's not going well.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Robinson View Post
    But did you try the bulk packs.
    No, I didn't. I didn't even know about them. I'll go look again. Or can you give me a link?

[Update] If I found what you call "bulk packs" it's too many dominos for me (780). I store them in the systaniner and for the 8x40 dominos, 130 is about all that will fit into one section. I don't use them that fast.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 01-11-2018 at 3:31 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    Mike, FYI, I had a shaky experience with Bob on a sander recently. Placed the order and got a confirmation email a couple of days later saying that the sander was backordered. I emailed Bob and told him to cancel the order, that his web site had listed it as in stock.

He called me a little later and apologized, said he was having problems with his new warehouse, which recently moved from Ohio to Kentucky (?) Basically, he uses a fulfillment company to ship the orders and keep the web site updated, and it's not going well.
    I wish I had known that before I ordered. I probably would have just gone to Woodcraft or Rockler. May still have to.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    The worst case scenario is that you can make your own dominos. That's why the thicknesser/planer and the router table were invented!

Happy New Year ... and Regards from Perth

Derek
    That certainly would work for some as well as during emergency (e.g. you needed 3 or 4 more to finish a job).

In all other cases, it totally defeats the reasons of owning and using a Domino Joiner, namely using ready-made loose tenons for quick mortising and for efficiency, as far as I am concerned. In fact, why would I want to spend $1000 and more for a system that would also take my precious shop time away for making the consumables. I can turn to any router to do the loose tenon joint. It is false economy in my shop and dominoes are cheap -- dirt cheap when I look the time it will take me to make them and the other costs of a project.

It has been so unfortunate and frustrating that the OP has had so many hurdles to overcome in just getting some dominoes!

Simon

No, I didn't. I didn't even know about them. I'll go look again. Or can you give me a link?

[Update] If I found what you call "bulk packs" it's too many dominos for me (780). I store them in the systaniner and for the 8x40 dominos, 130 is about all that will fit into one section. I don't use them that fast.

Mike
    Yes, they are simply a box of 6 individual packages of 130. Much more economical in the long run, but only if you have a place to store them (and will ultimately actually use them). Sorry, I would have normally provided a link but I was posting on the run!

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    It has been so unfortunate and frustrating that the OP has had so many hurdles to overcome in just getting some dominoes!
    I do not believe this to be a normal situation.. I think this is a "stars aligned in an unfortunate way" thing that unfortunately piled up one thing on top of another. Clearly, the Amazon seller totally screwed up marking the merchandise. Bob's situation is being dealt with...and real soon. (I just communicated with him)

I thought about making Dominos once my supply gets low, but given the non-abundance of metric cutters, that may not happen as I'm too anal, even about hidden things. LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Bob sent me a message that the dominos will ship today. I asked for the tracking number and he promised to send it to me. I'll report back.

Mike

Bob sent me a message that the dominos will ship today. I asked for the tracking number and he promised to send it to me. I'll report back.

Mike
    He will make good with you, Mike.
    --

I received a FedEx tracking number from Bob yesterday. The dominos are scheduled for delivery on the 18th and they shipped from Independence KY. So Nick's comment in post #31 appears to be correct - that Bob is moving his warehouse to Kentucky.

Mike

What Bob told me on the phone was that the company he hired to run the warehouse in Kentucky seems to have a problem with attention to detail. Not keeping track of inventory is what led me to order the sander that was listed as "in stock" when it was, in fact, backordered. He also told me that a guy ordered a router and the warehouse sent him two. Lucky for Bob, the guy was honest and sent one back.

I hope he gets it straightened out, because I like him. He called me, on his own, to apologize and explain the problem.

That's correct, Nick. And Bob's a stand-up guy and always has been. He will get this fixed and without going into detail, he has a plan in place.
    --

Just to complete the story, I received the dominos today from Bob. It's been a long process to get those but now I'm set for a while.

And just to cover the "no pictures, didn't happen" here's a couple of pictures of the package.
    8x40Dominos001.jpg 8x40Dominos002.jpg

Mike

I also got a doo-dad today I had ordered that the warehouse mysteriously forgot to ship. Bob had it drop shipped directly from the mother-ship.
    --