Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Festool Domino Story

Festool Domino Story

I like my Domino and use it for a lot of my projects. Not too long ago, I was running short of the 8x40 dominos so I ordered some more from Amazon. Today, I was working on a project and went to use some of the dominos I received from Amazon. Surprise! they were 6x40 and not 8x40. I guess I trust Amazon so much that I didn't even look at them closely when I received them.

Luckily, I had JUST enough 8x40 dominos left to finish my project. I didn't notice the problem until after I had cut the mortises so I couldn't change the bit and use the smaller ones - and I couldn't use the bigger dominos because of the size of the wood I was using.

I went and checked my order with Amazon to make sure I hadn't made an ordering error and I had ordered the right size.

I had a really sinking feeling when I discovered that problem. Just wanted to share that story.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

The worst case scenario is that you can make your own dominos. That's why the thicknesser/planer and the router table were invented!

Happy New Year ... and Regards from Perth

Derek

Last time I bought some dominos. Bought from amazon Germany. Even after paying shipping was lot cheaper.

I had the same thing happen to my except it was router bits. I ordered a set of Freud adjustables and didn't check to see if I'd gotten the right ones. Well, I ordered the right part number but they sent a different set instead, same type wrong profile. Had them for some time and went to use them this weekend and lo and behold, I had to buy the right set and it's way to late to send them back. from here on out, everything that gets delivered is checked right away.

Hey, now you'll have enough for the project requiring the 6x40's.

My wife does a lot of Amazon shopping, and recently sourced some hardware for a project were working on. Generally Amazon gets it right, but there are times they don't.
    Give Amazon a call and I'm certain that they'll make thing right, and you'll probably end up with the 6x40's for no charge.
    I think you can still trust them.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Blog Entries
    I think we have all had those boo-boos where we find the errant component is us
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Amazon's success, I think, is largely based on being customer-friendly, but here's one way they've gone the other way: I recently ordered a new Bunn coffee maker. After it was shipped, but before it was delivered, I noticed the selling price had gone down by $30. I immediately emailed them and was told sorry, no price adjustment would be made. I had a similar experience a year or so ago and they quickly adjusted my charge to the lower price. So for whatever reason, their policy has changed.

Mistakes do occur, unfortunately. Sad you didn't catch that earlier, but glad you were able to finish up the project with what you have!!

It's important to remember that just because something is bought "on Amazon", it doesn't mean that it's being sold by Amazon. Some third parties use Amazon for fulfillment and others do their own. "Stuff happens". And Amazon generally is pretty good at correcting mistakes at their expense, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    Hey, now you'll have enough for the project requiring the 6x40's.

My wife does a lot of Amazon shopping, and recently sourced some hardware for a project were working on. Generally Amazon gets it right, but there are times they don't.
    Give Amazon a call and I'm certain that they'll make thing right, and you'll probably end up with the 6x40's for no charge.
    I think you can still trust them.
    I received the order in December - I think late December - so there it was still in the return period. I just went to "Orders" and clicked on the "return" button and followed the instructions. They provided free return shipping. They gave me the choice of either getting a refund or a re-shipment - but I had already put in an order for the 8's again. I had done an order for the 6's and the 4's not too long ago so I have a lot of 6's now. I keep them in that extra systainer so there's no room for additional 6's. And knowing me, I'd put them somewhere and then forget where I put them

I feel bad that I opened the bag that the dominos came in - they may not be able to re-sell those - but I didn't use any of them.

It's just amazing to me how blind I was. I cut the top off the bag of 6's and put my remaining 8's on top of the 6's and never noticed that they were a different size.

Thanks for the idea of of ordering from Germany, Eugene. I've heard that before but just ordered from Amazon by habit.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I would guess your returned Dominos will soon be available in Amazon Warehouse deals.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    I would guess your returned Dominos will soon be available in Amazon Warehouse deals.
    Well, here's a head's up to anyone looking for the 6's. They're all there in the bag. - none used.

Mike

Blog Entries
    Why wouldn't you keep them? We buy cases of each... I use all the sizes...

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    Why wouldn't you keep them? We buy cases of each... I use all the sizes...
    As I mentioned above, I just ordered some 6's not too long ago. I have plenty and storage is a problem.

I don't use cases of them. I'm not a commercial woodworker.

Mike

Blog Entries
    I Have a storage problem.. All these from work I don't know what to do with.. A bag of Domino's would be welcome...
    Attached Images Attached Images

I love wharehouse deals. Sure that's where you dominos might end up.