Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Recommendations on a new Drill

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I recently decided to to a second drill/driver to support assembly work. Driving screws isn't a "heavy" task, especially with pre-drilling, so I wanted small and lightweight. Since I'm "married" to the Festool system, I chose the small CXS drill/driver. But most of the major brands have small 10-12v D/Ds that are well suited to the same tasks. When I was installing the large, kitchen "continent" top commission recently, the cabinet guys were using a few of the very small Milwaukee for driving screws. It looked like a very nice, compact D/D. It's kind of a "pick your brand" of preference situation here.
    Jim, I have the small CXS Festool as well. It is a great drill for furnituremaking. My other drill is a 20 year old Panasonic 12v. I've replaced batteries several times, and it keeps on going. Both are beautifully balanced drill/drivers. I would recommend either make.

For large holes I use a brace and bits. These chomp through hardwood with more torque than any power drill. Portable as well

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek, I'm working on a commission right now and it's been really nice having the little CSX for driving screws while keeping the larger D/D setup for drilling/countersink. It's very efficient and the smaller tool, is, well...smaller and lighter. That's nice when you're holding material with one hand and driving screws with the other.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Boger View Post
    Makes good sense, thank you Gene.
    Tim

I have a 20v Dewalt but I bought the 12 for my wife and really enjoy using it. Its nice and light and does pretty much anything I need it to.

That said I would really look at that Milwaukee, I have been drooling over that one with the battery fully enclosed in the handle since they first came out, I dont see myself buying one as I am pretty married to dewalt, but they are certainly interesting.

I did also pick up an egg beater type recently and honestly really like it. For tiny screws an egg beater drill and then driving a little screw by hand is pretty simple.

Had a bunch of diff brands and use to love my dewalts, but ergo if overhead use is not the best. After getting the festool many yrears ago, never going back. Ergo as i age is appreciated more and more.

Tim, I picked up the Festool TXS LI 2.6 set last year to use in the shop. It really felt good in my hand and is very small and lightweight, came with 2 batteries, Centrotec chuck, Centrotec bit holder and right angle chuck. I absolutely love this drill/driver and is great for shop use. Everyone that visit my shop and uses it has been amazed with the TXS and loves the lightweight, would recommend checking it out at a dealer. But as others have said all the others offer lightweight options as well. BTW I am surprized at how often I use the right angle chuck/adapter.

I really like being able to interchange my batteries among tools and not having to devote the space to a row of different chargers, so I've limited myself to only one brand. In my case Bosch, though were I to start fresh today it might be the Milwaukee Fuel line. Very happy with the brushless impact driver I added most recently-- nimble with the little battery pack, a workhorse with the big pack. Love that it has a built in half inch square drive for sockets.