Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flattening warped boards

Flattening warped boards

I'm making some drawer fronts with some inset hickory panels. After I planed them to 1/2" thick, they warped and will no longer sit flat in the drawer front frame. The only idea I can come up with is to shim under the cupped portion of the board (to keep the planer from flattening them) and run them through the planer again. Does anyone else have any other ideas?
    Thanks in advance,
    Kyle
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 12-31-2017 at 9:05 PM. Reason: fixed wonky text

Blog Entries
    First off, your board is cupped. Your piece may flatten out on its own accord in a week or so. But, place it on stickers with some weight also on stickers to encourage it to flatten while it adjusts its moisture level.

A possible solution would be to wet the concave side and then clamp it flat while it dries. That may of may not work.

When planing boards you want to remove equal amounts of material off of each face whenever you can to reduce the chance of cupping. Removing material this way keeps the moisture levels of the exposed wood approximately the same. You also want to stack your planed wood with stickers between layers and any flat surface so that the newly exposed surfaces can adjust to the room evenly.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Lee, thanks for the advice, much appreciated. It has been a few weeks since I planed the boards, so I don't think they will flatten out on their own, but it is possible since they are in my very dry MN shop and they will be coming into the house where there is more humidity. I think I'll try to wet one side and then clamp them flat as you mentioned. And, you're right, the proper terminology is "cupped", my brain is a little slow today apparently.

Worse comes to worse rip it down the middle, turn one piece upside down and re glue it back together. Be sure to sticker after it comes out of the clamps.

Your thought on shimming and planing will work...I’d probably go after it with hand planes and finish on a thickness planer, but the issue is that you are going to end up with a thinner panel. I can’t tell exactly from the pictures, but looks to be about an 1/8”+ gap...meaning you may have to reduce the thickness up to 1/4” or more...leaving you maybe a 1/4” panel. Will that still work?
    Last edited by Phil Mueller; 12-31-2017 at 11:17 PM.

I recently had some boards develop a slight cup after removing thickness primarily from one side. The boards had been sitting in my shop for 5 years so the moisture was uniform, but must have had some internal stress in it, perhaps from improper kiln drying. I removed some thickness from the other side and got the cup to go away. The boards have stayed flat.

I've often wondering why this doesn't work. Why not thoroughly wet the board, and then put it in a steam box for a few hours. Then remove the board and quickly clamp it flat with some long clamps that clamp the top and bottom of the board (a number of companies make these. Woodpeckers are the ones I have). Keep the boards clamped for a few days or a week while they dry (the clamps act as stickers themselves). After this, will the boards re-cup? I mean some woods can clearly be steam bent to dramatic curves (though there is some level of spring-back).

I've never heard of this discussed, so I'm assuming it doesn't work. But why wouldn't this solve Kyle's cupping issue?
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    I've often wondering why this doesn't work. Why not thoroughly wet the board, and then put it in a steam box for a few hours. Then remove the board and quickly clamp it flat with some long clamps that clamp the top and bottom of the board (a number of companies make these. Woodpeckers are the ones I have). Keep the boards clamped for a few days or a week while they dry (the clamps act as stickers themselves). After this, will the boards re-cup? I mean some woods can clearly be steam bent to dramatic curves (though there is some level of spring-back).

I've never heard of this discussed, so I'm assuming it doesn't work. But why wouldn't this solve Kyle's cupping issue?
    It might work, but you need a steaming chamber and one that is large enough to hold the piece you need to flatten.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post

Wood cells have a shape that is defined in part by the moisture level in the wood. More or less moisture and they move. Because the part is cupped, I'm 100% sure that panel moved due to a humidity change in the wood. Might be the shop is dryer than where the wood was store before. Might be that the wood was not fully dry and ready to use. Wetting and clamping might flatten while in the clamps, but once the clamps are removed and the moisture content of the board normalizes it will move again.

The problem here is trying to use a thin and wide board that is flat sawn. Flat sawn wood cups way more than quarter sawn. The book "Understanding Wood" is fantastic and will help you understand how wood moves and why. There are also tables that show the radial and tangential movement for every species.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott DelPorte View Post
    I recently had some boards develop a slight cup after removing thickness primarily from one side. The boards had been sitting in my shop for 5 years so the moisture was uniform, but must have had some internal stress in it, perhaps from improper kiln drying. I removed some thickness from the other side and got the cup to go away. The boards have stayed flat.
    Even with the wood sitting in your shop for a long time, when you expose fresh faces by planing, those faces are always more moist than the unplaned faces. Moisture levels are not consistent through the board, with the surface being drier than the core. The issue most likely is that by planing mostly one side, you ended up with a moisture imbalance from side to side, causing the cup as the new face dried out. As someone else mentioned, you should always try to remove material equally from side to side.

Hi Kyle,

With the deep freeze we have had in MN since Christmas, the humidity levels in your shop probably dropped from low to almost nothing. The board will go back to flat when they rise again. The main problem is that when summer (hopefully) comes, the humidity will be back to 70 - 90 percent indoors and the board may actually have enough moisture to cup in the opposite direction. Minnesota has the most climatically extreme weather in the country between summer and winter for both temperature and humidity (its actually one of the worst in the world that is actually inhabited to any extent), so any problems with wood movement will be worst case scenario here.

Are you attaching the front to a drawer box? If so, the cupping isn't that bad, and you may be able to draw the front flat. You will need to screw it top, middle, and bottom (you might want to make the top and bottom holes elongated if it is a plywood box). If it is an integral front, the sides will probably hold it flat enough, although you'll may have trouble forcing it into position. If possible, use a piece of wood that is less flat sawn, even diagonal grain will be better. For a tall drawer front, you may need to break down and make it out of multiple pieces.

Another thing to consider is the expansion across the grain. If it is going into a space fixed by a frame that can't expand (or minimal expansion), you will need to consider how much the front will expand in summer. As a rough rule of thumb per foot, figure 1/4 inch for quarter sawn, 1/2 inch for flat sawn, and somewhere in between for diagonal or rift sawn. There are charts that give more exact numbers by species. Though a pretty wood, hickory, unfortunately, moves a little more than most other common woods.

Actually the cupping you show in the pictures is pretty common here for any flat sawn board that was planed and let sit for a week or two. In this climate, it is something that you just need to take into account in your designs.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    Even with the wood sitting in your shop for a long time, when you expose fresh faces by planing, those faces are always more moist than the unplaned faces. Moisture levels are not consistent through the board, with the surface being drier than the core. The issue most likely is that by planing mostly one side, you ended up with a moisture imbalance from side to side, causing the cup as the new face dried out. As someone else mentioned, you should always try to remove material equally from side to side.
    Interesting. I always thought that the boards eventually reach an equilibrium if left in the same RH long enough. In this case my shop never goes below 40pct or above 45pct. I am still thinking it had more to do with internal stress in the boards due to improper kiln drying. Two things led me to think this. The first was that the bow occurred toward the surface that was planed. This meant that that surface was in compression. If the surface were drier than the core, it would shrink and it would be in tension, and the board would cup away from the planed surface as you relieve that tension. If they dried it wrong and case hardened the wood (as I think they did), it acts this way because the center of the board is in tension and the outside is in compression. I also left the boards in their freshly planed and slightly cupped condition for several weeks didn’t result in the boards changing shape again, as you would expect if there was extra moisture on the new surface.

Hi Scott,

Improper kiln drying can cause warpage, and wood will indeed reach equilibrium if left in the same relative humidity long enough. The problem in a climate like Minnesota, is that the relative humidity doesn't stay tend to stay the same long enough for a board to reach equilibrium. Interior humidity can range from 10 percent in the winter to over 80 in the summer, and can drastically swing over a few days in any season. Here, the inside and outside of a board are almost always at different moisture contents, unless the board is very thin. The cupping shown in the picture is very typical of humidity change. It would have likely moved nearly that much even if it had not been planed.

Planing will change the internal tensions of the wood in that the outside will be closer to the moisture content of the air, and the inside will be closer to what it was further back in time. Removing that outside layer tends to put the wood more out of sync with the current RH, and as it starts to equalize, it moves again.

In general, you try to use the parts as soon as you can after cutting them. If that is not possible, you have to take that expected warpage into account in your design.

Blog Entries
    Ok the panel is cupped, but more I’m more curious to the assembly. Rather than inset them it seems to make sense that they should be made as a floating panel set into a groove.

I like to make panels 3/8” or 5/16”.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I'm making some drawer fronts with some inset hickory panels. After I planed them to 1/2" thick, they warped and will no longer sit flat in the drawer front frame. The only idea I can come up with is to shim under the cupped portion of the board (to keep the planer from flattening them) and run them through the planer again. Does anyone else have any other ideas?
    Thanks in advance,
    Kyle
    Kyle, if you use the boards in a dovetailed set up, where they are captured by the dovetails, then the joinery will straighten the boards and keep them flat. As they dry and stabilise, the internal tensions will slow.

Regards from Perth

Derek