Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shop Build

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Cady View Post
    Great looking shop.

You probably won't like this...but now is the time to remove or relocate those trees. Trees can and will cause crazy amounts damage. Rule of thumb is to keep the building outside of the full grown trees' drip line (leaf canopy). The one on the left is already violating that rule.

I am am a bit confused about how you got around not digging below the frost line. Can you elaborate?
    Sorry it has taken me so long to answer your question Kurt. The engineer decided that while 24" is not the actual frost line, it is deep enough, and big enough, being 24" deep x 15" thick (or actually thicker) and if it was lifted, the entire pad would be lifted at the same time. As I mentioned earlier, I would have perferred doing concrete walls / footings with a center slab. The cost was over double though.

I would have liked to remove the trees, but they provide too much shade and I just couldn't pull them out. I will be cutting them back some, but will leave them for now.
    I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love.... It seems to me that Montana is a great splash of grandeur....the mountains are the kind I would create if mountains were ever put on my agenda. Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans. Montana has a spell on me. It is grandeur and warmth. Of all the states it is my favorite and my love.

John Steinbeck

Thought I would update where my build is at. Here are four photos of how it sits today. I was able to get it wrapped with tyvek today, the felt is on the roof and I will be putting on the shingles this next week. Takes forever when you are doing it yourself.

You will notice that the fourth photo, of the inside of the shop, shows a bunch of stuff. I just get the shop waterproof (mostly) and it fills up with my daughter's stuff. By the time I get ready to move my tools in, there worn't be any room for them. Go figure.

If was fun lifting up the beams, but actually went easier than I thought it would. Just took three of us a couple of hours to lift and set them.

Shop1.jpg
    Shop2.jpg
    Shop3.jpg
    Shop4.jpg
    I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love.... It seems to me that Montana is a great splash of grandeur....the mountains are the kind I would create if mountains were ever put on my agenda. Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans. Montana has a spell on me. It is grandeur and warmth. Of all the states it is my favorite and my love.

John Steinbeck

The thickened footing around the perimeter for a slab on grade is standard for a free floating slab. They don't go below the frost line. The thickened edges are to support and distribute the weight of the walls. If you have any center posts, they need have the slab thickened underneath as well. I think the idea is that the slab may move a little bit from frost, but as a unit and not enough to matter. They are common in Minnesota for detached garages and outbuildings, even though the frost line here is 42". The key is that they can't be attached to anything with a frost footing or they might heave away.

Nice looking garage. How is you radiant heat setup going?

I was mostly referring to those little trees. They will grow to be big trees, now is the time to move them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Cady View Post
    I was mostly referring to those little trees. They will grow to be big trees, now is the time to move them.
    Agree. Looks like a couple of 2-3" caliper maples?. Should be able to move them easily, although with the majority of roots in the top 12-18"s they might not have any affect on that thick perimeter concrete. Maybe trench in a root barrier and force any roots to go parallel to the building.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Nice looking garage. How is you radiant heat setup going?
    Haven't touched it since putting it in. Trying to get the electrical in over the next two weeks. A neighbor, who is an electrician, is going to install all the wires and the box for me. I will trade out some cabinets his wife wants, so good deal for both of us. Once I get power in and the inspection done, I will work on finishing the radiant heat. Since summer is close, despite the snow that is currently falling, I won't worry about running the heat, other than testing, until next fall. Still have lots of insulation to put in too.

As for the small trees, yes they maples, Canadian maples. Supposed to be the exact same, but one grows narrow and tall, the other almost like a bush. Good idea to move them back some.

John Steinbeck

Looks very nice Mark. An exciting time for sure.

What is the height of your ceiling and what’s the roof pitch, 6/12?

Thx

jon

The ceiling on the inside shop is a hair over 12' so I didn't have to cut the wall material. The roof is a 5/12 pitch. I enjoy looking at steeper roofs, but hate getting on them so kept it at 5/12.

I just finished the roof, with the exception of putting the ridge cap shingles on the ridge vent. It got too dark so will complete that tomorrow unless it rains as predicted. I was concerned about the seams in the ridge vent, as mine don't actually overlap, but had an epiphany. I covered the seams up with the same sealing tape I used for the windows, a really sticky 14" wide petroleum based tape. Should make sure that there is never a leak on the seams.

Picked up the siding yesterday and will start once we have some dry weather. Supposed to rain the next few days, so will likely be Monday. Then it is electrical and insulation, plus the ceiling. Going with painted OSB on the walls and ceiling. Then the soffits (not looking forward to the soffits on the gabled ends) and overhead garage door. Then move in and start working on some jobs I have been putting off.

John Steinbeck

Thanks for reply Mark and good luck. Sorry about the timing of the rain but we Coloradoans are happy to see this storm on the way and hope it brings us needed moisture.

Best of luck. Keep sending updates and will follow.

Jon

Getting the siding on. Finally decided to go with vinyl siding. Thought about Hardi Board, but didn't want to paint it. Once the siding is done, can get to work on the interior. Electrical this next week hopefully.

Siding 1.jpg

Siding 2.jpg

John Steinbeck

Wow, looking great! I would do vinyl siding but our covenants won't allow it unfortunately. So I'm getting hardi and 30" of rock around the bottom...not looking forward to all the work. You're getting close!

Mark, is your main shop space 38 x 26 or does that include the carport too?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Snider View Post
    Mark, is your main shop space 38 x 26 or does that include the carport too?
    No, the 26x38 is the enclosed space. The car port is approximately 26x16. I wanted it mainly for parking trailers, but will also use it for working in the shade on certain projects and it will be nice to load / unload trailers when the weather is bad. I have also been thinking about buying older camp trailers and rebuilding them. That space under the car port can hold up to a 24' trailer with no problem so I can work on them.

John Steinbeck