Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rikon 14" BS 10-325 bearing sources

Rikon 14" BS 10-325 bearing sources

I need to replace bearings on my Rikon 14" BS. I love the saw but the guide bearings were suspect from day one, and one or more noisy in short order. One bearing finally exploded and I need to replace it, and get a few spares. I see there is a tooless upgrade kit for the entire guide assembly but I'd prefer to skip that expense for now. I know I can order replacement bearings from Rikon but will they just be more junk bearings? Thought about sourcing a few locally if I might get a better quality bearing. Not sure if the bearing size is common enough for that to be feasible.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Probably a standard bearing easy to find on the bay. I would recommend sealed not shielded. There should be a 4 digit bearing number on the outer race or seal/shield. It may end in Z, ZZ, R or RS which refer to seal/shield type and number if any. If these are the small skateboard type bearing expect to pay about $1.00 each
    If you can not find a number you can measure the inner/outer diameter and thickness. If this is a ball bearing these will all be metric.
    On motors the drive end bearing is often bigger then the fan end. A quality motor will often have bearing numbers on the data plate. Bearings from 1950's may use obsolete number system.

Ebay search terms.. skate bearing
    VXB company is what I use partly because it is in the USA and in stock
    Bill D.

SKF and NTN are good sites to find bearing sizes/numbers

http://webtools3.skf.com/BearingCalc...Product.action
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 12-31-2017 at 12:58 PM.

FYI The horrible freight digital caliper is more then adequate to measure a bearing. Bearings are exact mm dimensions. To be honest an adjustable try square is probably good enough for those small sizes. Make sure to measure the dismounted bearing, for inner bore, as the shaft it rides on my be turned down just for the bearing thickness. The rest of the shaft could easily be 1mm bigger or smaller then the bearing bore.
    Bill

Thank you. Yes they are skateboard bearings. 608RS Most of them have ceramic bearings but some are listed as steel. They are so inexpensive I can buy a few types and see how they last.

If anyone finds this on a search in the future I got them on Amazon for basically the same price with quicker shipping. They are all cheap and I am not optimistic they will be good for hi-speed duty as they also fit Fidget Spinner toys. I'll have four extra bearings so that should get me by for a few cuts if I have to shop for good bearings soon. I even found this bearing number offered for as little as about 10 cents each. I don't want to wear a helmet when I use my bandsaw.
    Last edited by Dewayne Reding; 12-31-2017 at 2:01 PM.

I recently ordered some spares to have on hand for my 10-326. Got them from Uxcell on Amazon, and they work fine. Only trouble was it took a couple of weeks to get them. Next time I think I'll go to the local Fastenal store; I'm told they can order them in pretty quickly if they don't have them in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    I recently ordered some spares to have on hand for my 10-326. Got them from Uxcell on Amazon, and they work fine. Only trouble was it took a couple of weeks to get them. Next time I think I'll go to the local Fastenal store; I'm told they can order them in pretty quickly if they don't have them in stock.
    Same brand bearing I just ordered with a Thursday delivery date using Prime. We shall see. Fidget spinner craze is over and they will be a dollar soon enough and we'll always have an emergency bearing supply. Bad bearings but for a cut or two.....

Smile

Don't know if the bearings sold by Rikon would be any better or worse, but I think it's safe to assume they are more expensive.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 01-12-2018 at 6:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    Don't know if the bearings sold by Rikon would be any better or worse, but I think it's safe to assume they are more expensive.
    They sold me the first set of bad bearings so there is that. I do love the saw. It's a very good value and I don't regret the purchase. I do a lot of automotive work and I knew the saw had cheap guide bearings the first day I used it. They lasted longer than I ever expected they would but as I mentioned they were noisy from day one.

I switched mine out for the Space Age Ceramic guide blocks. It's so much quieter and easier to adjust now. I went from hating to resaw to loving it.

Ceramic bearings are a waste for that use. Not as tough as steel ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Ceramic bearings are a waste for that use. Not as tough as steel ones.
    He is talking about guide blocks and not bearings I think?

Right, same thing that comes on the Laguna saws stock, I think. It was $68 to replace the upper and lower guides and thrust bearings.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Lester View Post
    Right, same thing that comes on the Laguna saws stock, I think. It was $68 to replace the upper and lower guides and thrust bearings.
    I'll give that consideration over time. I've never used a decent band saw other than the Rikon. Rikon offers a tool less guide upgrade that looks slick, but it's $150, and I still don't know if the bearings are that good. The factory setup is a bit tedious to adjust after a blade change and if I used my BS more it would make good sense to improve it for the long-term. I don't mean to sound cheap but don't want to throw good money after bad. I''ll research well before I upgrade. And thanks for your input in any event. Do you just leave a few thousands clearance when using blocks?

Dewayne, while I have not seen or used the Rikon bearing retrofit kit, I can tell you that the toolless bearing adjustment on the 10-326 works very well. From pictures that I have seen, the bearings on my saw look beefier than the earlier Rikon 14" saws, and I have not had any problems with mine. (I only ordered new ones to have spares on hand. Kinda anal that way.) I do not know if the guide blocks would work better than bearings or not, never used them.

I set the blocks the same as the bearings.