Thread: When loggin in . . .

When loggin in . . .

Why do I have to put a check in the box labeled "Remember me" ? Who would consciously want to log in every time instead of just being already logged in ?

I do computer maintenance every Saturday which, somehow, disconnects active logins so I expect to have to log in every Sunday. Unfortunately, at this site, I inevitably miss checking the "Remember Me" box and then, often times I forget on Monday, as well, even Tuesday sometimes.

Does anyone find a need for the "Remember Me" box ?

I always use the "Remember Me" option when on my personal computers. I never use it when I'm on a communal computer. Checking the box keeps you logged in from that computer and browser through the cookie from SMC. Even when I clear my browsing history, as long as I don't delete the SMC cookie, I am still logged in the next time I visit.

Yonak, making the "remember me" the default could cause a serious security issue for folks who access from "public" computers, etc. By defaulting to "not checked", it insures that incidental access from places other than ones own devices doesn't compromise the login. Once you do check it...it should stay in force until you choose to change it, although occasionally an OS or browser upgrade sometimes torpedoes that idea.

Jim
    Forum Moderator
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    I do computer maintenance every Saturday which, somehow, disconnects active logins so I expect to have to log in every Sunday.
    Your maintenance probably removes cookies which eliminates your log in. It may be possible for you to make SMC cookies exempt from being deleted.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Your maintenance probably removes cookies which eliminates your log in. It may be possible for you to make SMC cookies exempt from being deleted.
    Yes, that's exactly what happens. Some "cleanup" utilities have smart cookie management that understands the difference between login cookies and other types of tracking. I use CCleaner (Mac version, but it's similar to the Windoz version) and it knows not to delete my login information cookies.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Once you do check it...it should stay in force until you choose to change it

Jim
    Forum Moderator
    It doesn't. Every Sunday, when I have to log in, the box is unchecked.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    It may be possible for you to make SMC cookies exempt from being deleted.
    I don't have that choice. My choices are, either, clear cookies or don't clear cookies. I'm using Firefox. Most sites I visit, the default is "remember me" and uncheck the box if you're on a public computer which, surely, must be rare these days.

It doesn't. Every Sunday, when I have to log in, the box is unchecked.
    Clearly, your SMC "cookie" is being deleted sometime between Saturday and Sunday...
    --

Clearly . . .

Thank you for fixing this.

Blog Entries
    I don't have that choice. My choices are, either, clear cookies or don't clear cookies. I'm using Firefox. Most sites I visit, the default is "remember me" and uncheck the box if you're on a public computer which, surely, must be rare these days.
    Firefox allows you to set up exceptions for not removing selected cookies under the tools, options, pivacy & security to exempt sites from having cookies removed. See the photo below copied from my Firefox 60.0.2:
    exception.JPG
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute