Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: High gloss plywood

High gloss plywood

<p>
    I'm looking for a supply source for high gloss red plywood or meg for a garage shop cabinet project. I would need 10 sheets.</p>
    <p>
    Dayton OH</p>
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 12-31-2017 at 9:04 PM. Reason: fixed wonky text

Blog Entries
    Most likely you'll have to have it finished....

Your location, in general, is going to be helpful to folks to point you to a plywood supplier in that area.

You also need to better define what you mean by "high gloss red plywood". Pre-finished with... Paint? Melamine? Phenolic? You may or may not be able to easily source what you want which still leaves you with the choice of finishing it yourself in the color you prefer.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Have someone nearby with a hot press lay up gloss laminate on plywood cores using rolled on PVA glue.

Euro style high gloss

Get a finisher to spray on some pigmented gloss lacquer-- after construction of the doors.

Pre-finished ply does not come red (AFAIK)-- and wouldn't be red at the cut edges.

For sure those are lacquered MDF, not laminated doors in the above photo. Also wouldn't use plywood.

I'm wondering why lacquer would be preferred over a basecoat/clearcoat urethane. It would hold its color and gloss longer and be very easy to keep clean. It is more expensive to spray, but would be worth the results. Also getting that level of shine doesn't come out of the gun with lacquer, so a bunch of sanding and buffing is usually in order.

Does anyone still make sheet metal kitchen cabinets or did they disappear after the fifties? For sure those metal ones could be painted with high gloss auto paint and clear coated. Probably cheaper and better then the particle board ones made today.
    Bill D

This is high gloss polyurethane. The best substrate is mdf and the best one to use is white satin melamine finished. Make your doors, fit them and then remove them and paint them. I always recommend avoiding clear over base. Full colour tint is best. The paint won't be cheap. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

Do a web search and type in "Harmony High Gloss Panels". There are a few sources, most come from the Richelieu website. It's a difficult material to work with if you're not setup to handle it. Most high end gloss cabinets use this type of material from my experience. Don't know about in the USA but this side of the border they cost 200.00 + for a 4 x 9 x 3/4 sheet shiny one side. Edge banding is the difficult part.

So I was digging last night and found this they make matching edge banding and stocked about 40 miles from me what do you guys think.
    http://www.premiereurocase.com/what-...ekt-collection

That's an interesting product, Doug, if you're setup to work with it. I bet there's a big "ching...ching... $$$ " factor to it, however!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'm in the process of finishing up a commercial project that used Wilsonart D91-01. The 01 finish is high gloss and if you look at it wrong it shows. We had panels glued up and you can still see waves if the light shows in certain areas. Also when edge banding if you don't have a high end edge banding machine it scratches the surface. High gloss is a bear to work with. Looks great when installed. I would think with a high gloss without laminate it's probably a baked on finish. Also when trimming the edge band the trimmed color is not glossed. This is my first experience working with a finish like this and if I had to again I'd probably double my price or pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Filo View Post
    So I was digging last night and found this they make matching edge banding and stocked about 40 miles from me what do you guys think.
    http://www.premiereurocase.com/what-...ekt-collection
    Do you have access to a highend edgebander that can buff/polish the finished edge? You might also inquire, if like Richelieu you can have the panels made to order. Sometimes this is the most cost effective way to proceed. I had a small job recently in gloss white and with the cost of the panel material and the edgebanding, the made to order panels cost approx. $100.00 more. No muss, no fuss.