Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mirka sander vs Festool

Blog Entries

Mirka sander vs Festool

Tried both and the Mirka wins. The Festool was too bulky ...I I have the 3m which I thought was better than Festool....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Does the Mirka require a dedicated vacuum?

Interested to know what difference there were to make you choose the Mirka
    i am looking to alternatives to Festool, there pricing is just getting too steep for me to justify.
    How did dust collection compare?
    Can you connect the mirka to the festool vaccuum without any adapters?

"How it feels" is very important. There's no bad choice between these two sanders here.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    Tried both and the Mirka wins. The Festool was too bulky ...I I have the 3m which I thought was better than Festool....
    I bought a couple Bosch ROS65VC-5. They were powerful yet vibration free; but were so bulky they were unpleasant to use. I sold them and went back to my PC333.

Anyone know how the ROS65VC-5 compare in bulk to the Festool? I would really like to upgrade my sanders.

For finish sanding.... Mirka Deros
    For aggressive, course sanding... Rotex 150.
    Different animals!
    Mirka is compatible w Festool vacs.
    Mirka Ceros/Deros sanders are like air sanders...low profile, palm held, very comfortable.
    Mirka sanders w abranet discs are virtually dustless.
    Mirka’s, like Festool are not cheap.

Blog Entries
    Mirka was better on the hands and arms. The Festool was too bulky and difficult to manage... The 3M was close to the Mirka but pneumatic. Mirka $1100 with vac. Salesman said many skip the vac and do shopvac...

Festool lost for production work.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    "How it feels" is very important. There's no bad choice between these two sanders here.
    Mirka felt better...

Tried them both and in my case Festool won. I'm using a boomarm off the vac. I don't like paddle sanders and the instant off found on the ETS EC 150 works great. Again comes down to comfort. I tried and don't like Mirka Abranet for daily use, especially the price and the ease of ripping. I don't like the pricing of Festool now as I feel its in the stupid zone and really have a hard time justifing any future purchases. To each his own and like Jim said in the long run both sanders work well for sanding. My dealer told me at the time of my decision if going with Mirka that to be happy you should buy 2 of Deros, so you always have one while the other is out being repaired. I know 2 other Mirka dealers that expressed the same thing and only carry the sanders because they want the abrasive line. This was 2 years ago and Mirka may have their act together now.

I came to the same conclusion as John did. I used them both side by side, in all positions for over a week.
    The Mirka was slightly smaller, but definitely less power, and not as smooth.

Oh, and if you think Festool is pricey, the Mirka was about $100-120.00 more!

I couldn't stand the paddle switch and pushbutton setup on the Mirka. A paddle works if you only sand horizontal, but I prefer a simple on/off switch for multipositional sanding.

Mirka Deros comes with either 2.5 mm or 5.0 mm orbits. Which did you choose? Why?
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James Morgan View Post
    Mirka Deros comes with either 2.5 mm or 5.0 mm orbits. Which did you choose? Why?
    Hopefully neither. 15 sanders and vacs pretty expensive . Hoping to push.........
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    A dozen guys who sand 8hrs a day made this decision. They use pneumatic and the Mirka was the closest...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py0w4PylbGE

Jack it will be interesting hear how they hold up over a couple of years. I can see how the air guys would like the Mirka, how long did each of your guys get to test each sander and curious why an operation like yours would want to move from air to electric. I would assume something like a Kaeser screw compressor, a bunch of dynabrades with dust collection would be a good long term purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kee View Post
    Jack it will be interesting hear how they hold up over a couple of years. I can see how the air guys would like the Mirka, how long did each of your guys get to test each sander and curious why an operation like yours would want to move from air to electric. I would assume something like a Kaeser screw compressor, a bunch of dynabrades with dust collection would be a good long term purchase.
    As your post states, I think your information is a bit out-dated. Mirka had some issues with the Ceros however we have had them for years (bought just after the Ceros issues) and have never had an ounce of trouble out of them. I was not happy when they did away with the Ceros and went to the Deros with the onboard transformer but look forward to getting my hands on one before we add more. If we dont care for the Deros it will either be SufPrep's electrics or the 3M electric version that looks identical to the air model pictured in a previous response.
    Last edited by Mark Bolton; 12-31-2017 at 1:06 PM.