Thread: I feel I need a test drive on a G0800

I feel I need a test drive on a G0800

Any owners of a G0800 here in Virginia, or close enough that I could do a turning session? I feel I owe it to myself to try one out before I make a committment to something way more expensive. I have been pondering different makes, but have not decided on “the lathe” as of yet. I have had very good experience with both Grizzly lathes I have owned......now the G0800 is available and is made by the same manufacturer that makes the Powermatics.

Some of the ergonomics of this newer model have appeal to me, as well as the heavy and wide stance of the unit. If you own one, and are close enough for a day drive, and would be willing to show me your G0800, then send me PM, and perhaps we could have a meet up and turning session.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Is San Diego close to where you live?
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    Is San Diego close to where you live?
    A bit more than a day drive, but thanks Brian!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    A bit more than a day drive, but thanks Brian!
    Good morning Roger. Well I have the Laguna 2436 (older version) Pretty much identical to the GO-800. Your more than welcome to come up for a test drive, however Coshocton , Ohio is quite a hike for you.
    As I responded in your previous post , the lathe has been an outstanding performer for me. It is WAY nicer to turn on than my previous lathe which was a 1/12 Jet 1642. Don't get me wrong I turned many many items including fairly large bowls on the Jet, but the power and especially the weight and stability of the Laguna make it so much more pleasant to turn on.
    I only have two areas that I would like to change. The banjo is not quite high enough for my Robust long stem tool rests, and somewhat heavy and cumbersome. It does clamp tightly however. I plan on replacing it with a Oneway.
    My next wish is that the manufacturer would have spent a little more $$ on the finish of the lathe. A nice powdercoat finish would have brought the lathe up closer to the premium.
    I hope you get a chance to check one out and if you can't find anyone closer please come on up.

Roger, I recall reading somewhere that Grizzly can supply you with names of people with the lathe you are looking for who are in your area. Maybe it was an "opt-in" on the part of the new owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    Roger, I recall reading somewhere that Grizzly can supply you with names of people with the lathe you are looking for who are in your area. Maybe it was an "opt-in" on the part of the new owner.
    Thanks Brice.....I think I will give CS a call and see if there is someone near me.

Or you could jump on a plane, have a holiday in Aus and try my Laguna 24/36, same model as Carl's. Just don't come this month, its in the 90° range at present.
    Rgds,
    Richard.

They had one on the showroom floor the last time I was up at Bellingham.... spent a few ah minutes thinkin, then bought what we were there for and left.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Lindberg View Post
    They had one on the showroom floor the last time I was up at Bellingham.... spent a few ah minutes thinkin, then bought what we were there for and left.
    Ralph...what was your up close and personal impression when you saw it on the sales floor? Features, build, ergonomics, etc?

I guess Okla is more than a days drive but after 16 months I am very pleased with mine. If you do buy one I would recommend you buy the bed ext. at the same time mine stays on the end in the lower position all the time. I really like being able to slid the head stock to the end and move the banjo to the table ext. and stand in front of large turnings makes it easier on the back.

Roger, Take a look at youtube. There are 3 or maybe 4 G0800 reviews...

12. Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    Roger, Take a look at youtube. There are 3 or maybe 4 G0800 reviews...
    Been there, done that.....while they are helpful, they don’t give me the critical look and personal experience I want before I make a choice on my next lathe.

I'd play with it as they didn't have power to it, but it certainly was tempting. I didn't see anything that would have stopped me from buying it, except for money, room in the shop, etc
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.