Thread: Lovin the new lathe

Lovin the new lathe

Well finally got to turn a few things the last couple of days, made a pen , a walnut box, and a few roughed out hollow forms. I scored some "tulip poplar" yesterday and cut it all up into blanks that i can use. Never turned it before so this is my first, can't wait till it
    dries so I can see how it finishes. Also got a little cedar and elm wood. Definetly can tell I have'nt done this in awhile, somethings seem kind of awkward to me at first but i coming around. So heres a new pic of the lathe with shavings, looks much better that way also a pic of my little box i made.
    making shavings.jpgscale of box.jpgfirst box with pwrmatic.jpg

Looking good. Makes my old B lathe look bad, but not that bad. Enjoy it. Nice box. Looking forward to some larger pieces soon.

Yep, looking foward to making some bigger stuff. Right now though just trying to get of feel of things . The vortex sucked me back in again, I love this hobby.

How long before the cat started playing with it?

Nice to see the shavings! Did you put catnip in the box?

I like turning tulip/yellow poplar - we have a lot growing here and I save some when a tree is down for the sawmill and the lathe. Problem is many are close to and even over 3' in diameter! Poplar seems to get a bad rap sometimes, perhaps because the figure is often bland, or I don't know, maybe people confuse it with true poplar because of the name. It's fine grained, turns beautifully, and finishes nicely. Dries fairly quickly too. I wish I had more big chunks. I've made small boxes, "magic" wands, finger tops, bowls, and lots of flatwood things.

JKJ

Lol, yeah this is are new addition to our home, chewing up all our usb cords. He was in the pic for scale

No catnip in box, lol. He is inquisitive about everything at this stage.
    Yeah, I don't know a lot about Tulip Poplar, this guy had a lot of huge chunks of it though that i manage to cut some slabs off so that i could handle getting them into my truck, kinda over did it though and back is quite sore now. Good to here it dries quickly though, most of my blanks i cut were in the thought of making hollow forms just because how how this tree was cut up.
    Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Nice to see the shavings! Did you put catnip in the box?

I like turning tulip/yellow poplar - we have a lot growing here and I save some when a tree is down for the sawmill and the lathe. Problem is many are close to and even over 3' in diameter! Poplar seems to get a bad rap sometimes, perhaps because the figure is often bland, or I don't know, maybe people confuse it with true poplar because of the name. It's fine grained, turns beautifully, and finishes nicely. Dries fairly quickly too. I wish I had more big chunks. I've made small boxes, "magic" wands, finger tops, bowls, and lots of flatwood things.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Stadler View Post
    No catnip in box, lol. He is inquisitive about everything at this stage.
    Yeah, I don't know a lot about Tulip Poplar, this guy had a lot of huge chunks of it though that i manage to cut some slabs off so that i could handle getting them into my truck, kinda over did it though and back is quite sore now. Good to here it dries quickly though, most of my blanks i cut were in the thought of making hollow forms just because how how this tree was cut up.
    I don't have many photos of things I've made from the wood but here is one Beads of Courage box:
    BOC_B_comp.jpg
    I made this from a fairly big chunk cut green maybe 7-8 years before and put on the shelf to dry. I don't remember the size but based on the size of the music box in the lid it's probably 5-6" wide, end grain turning. I wish I had cut and dried a bunch more!

Poplar seems fairly stable too unlike a lot of other hardwoods. I've air dried some big blocks (without any pith in them) just by waxing the ends with Anchorseal and forgetting about them - nothing cracked. Twice turned bowls or forms should should work very well. If I were you I'd probably cut the blocks up as soon as possible into a variety of blank sizes and seal the end grain on those you won't use right away. I turn a lot of smaller things so I tend to make a bunch of 1"-4" squares too.

JKJ

Yep that looks like the same wood I have, and I really like your project there, very nice. I guess the man that gave me the wood knew his trees, well he cut them down for a living so I guess he would. Thanks for the pics, thats really cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I don't have many photos of things I've made from the wood but here is one Beads of Courage box:
    BOC_B_comp.jpg
    I made this from a fairly big chunk cut green maybe 7-8 years before and put on the shelf to dry. I don't remember the size but based on the size of the music box in the lid it's probably 5-6" wide, end grain turning. I wish I had cut and dried a bunch more!

Poplar seems fairly stable too unlike a lot of other hardwoods. I've air dried some big blocks (without any pith in them) just by waxing the ends with Anchorseal and forgetting about them - nothing cracked. Twice turned bowls or forms should should work very well. If I were you I'd probably cut the blocks up as soon as possible into a variety of blank sizes and seal the end grain on those you won't use right away. I turn a lot of smaller things so I tend to make a bunch of 1"-4" squares too.

JKJ