Thread: Cherry kids beds. Future lofted beds

Cherry kids beds. Future lofted beds

My kids have been asking for bunk beds for a while so after a while of drawing up some designs and finding pictures of what they wanted I can up with a design for head board and foot board that could be stacked down the road to make a lofted bed. (They want a “fort” down below versus a bed).

We went to the lumber mill and they choose cherry for the material so I got to work a while back on it. This also forced me to get a few machines up and running that I had been putting off. (12” porter Jointer and 12” parks planer) Slow progress due to my day job (I travel a lot of work) and other honey to do lists.

Legs are (3) 3/4” laminated boards to get to 3.25 thick by 3” wide. I have 1/4 in veneer that readers that will get glued to cover glue lines and have a wrapped look. For the middle I cut dado’s that once glued acted as the mortises for cross beams. Cross bears are 1-1/4 thick. 1” x 3.5” boards will cover the top.

Here are a few pictures.

Foot boards coming together

Got some free time today. Vertical rails made from 1/2 cherry. 3/4 tenons x 1/4 wide

Still have to glue the 1/4 veneer to cover up the glue lines. Everything will get a nice round over to smooth the edges out. Bed rails will have a 1/2 mortise and bed bolts. Rails will be 1” thick by 6 or 7 inchs wide. 1.5” shelf popular cross supports for the mattress.

One foot board down. One to go and two head boards.

C092D67C-6C37-489A-8BBC-25A384B492B3.jpg2E45B3C0-10C6-423D-AF10-996E0B06B2CF.jpgEC4769CC-1928-455D-B951-88D0F215813E.jpg

Very nice ... and good idea to pre-plan for alternative ways to use the beds. I leveraged the "loft bed" idea for most of my time in college and it was a winner, especially in very small room situations. And for kids, the "fort" idea is really easy to implement that way.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...